Shit just got real

[gallery ids="1053187826,1053187827,1053187830" type="rectangular"]

So, Clover and I schooled cross country for the first time in 10 years last Sunday. It was a lesson with Lila Gendal, who taught our group all day at Coyote Spring Farm in Lee. Beautiful facility, gorgeous day--the footing in the giant outdoor is to dream for. Shredded fiber and sand.

We warmed up in the ring, briefly on the flat, then over fences. Lila said I have to get Clover together more efficiently and not waste Clover's time by dinking around, I have to insist that she go forward and supple, even if she shows a little attitude. Ignore the tail swishing, etc.

Also, again, I have to keep Clover forward to a fence so she doesn't chip the last stride, and I a have to figure out how to keep my lower leg on and use it effectively--I think I get kind of excitable and flap my upper body and waste energy instead of keeping my leg on. Oh, and I need to figure out how to fold at the hip over a fence. I still brace in the stirrups.

After warming up in the ring, we started out over a ditch. As you can see, it didn't go so well the first time.

https://youtu.be/-7gLLmkvqAY

See what I mean about needing to keep my leg on?

We started stringing some fences together, and I felt some of that old Clover cross country magic.

https://youtu.be/5kXjldGVL54

We schooled some more through the water...Lila said I had to pay her $120 if I didn't get Clover to canter through the water this time. I used all the aids at my command: seat leg, bat, voice... arrrrrr! Here we are giving Ferdinand and Emma a lead. I think they could have given us a lead--Ferd was a star all day.

https://youtu.be/DKttyeiHwaY

We cantered.




Since I just bought a new jumping saddle (a Stubben Roxane, which fits both Clover and I very well and rode comfortably all day) and need to justify the expense (heh) , and Clover is perked up and getting fitter as a result of lessoning with Lila, I'm seriously considering entering some schooling events to shoot for, particularly the Groton House Fall Classic in late September. Probably Elementary (Beginner Novice test A; jump height 2'3") , unless we do spectacularly at a warm up event--maybe go Advanced Elementary at Green Acres in early September, in which case I'd consider doing Beginner Novice (test A or B, jump height 2'7").

Groton House had long been on my bucket list, along with GMHA, which Clover has done. I think it's time to refocus my activities so I can spend more days per week riding and get back to unfinished business.

Comments

Popular Posts