Like poorly fitted tack
Hopped on Mico tonight; we figured his slight lameness would have resolved after a few days' rest, but towards the end of the ride, or rather what determined the end of the ride, was Mico going slightly off again going to the left. Overall, though, I definitely felt looser and more able to establish contact. It wasn't great, but it was better than the past couple of weeks.
My biggest issue of the night was my seat--I couldn't seem to get myself over my seatbones and get my seat deep into the right part of the saddle. The more I tried to get into the deepest part of the saddle, the less right it felt. I was stumped. Usually in that saddle I feel like I'm sitting into the horse once I'm warmed up--when I'm on a good riding streak, that is.
Mico started to get upset with my fidgeting and fiddling--to the point where he was resisting my requests for up transitions by crabbing his haunches to the left. I wondered if I'd soured him to me, like a horse can get ring sour, from all the clumsy riding I've been doing since last fall. It took me a while, but I realized it wasn't a personality clash, it was a matter of discomfort. Duh! Mico reacts to me like he reacts to an uncomfortable saddle--with fussing, kicking and bucking. I told Christine this, and she said that we'd get me sorted out. I think so. I just have to keep riding regularly, and believe that I can improve if I do so. A few lessons wouldn't hurt, either.
Christine's going to take one with at MRF Dressage, and Tony and I are going to tag along and videotape it to see if I might want to try a lesson or two as well.
My biggest issue of the night was my seat--I couldn't seem to get myself over my seatbones and get my seat deep into the right part of the saddle. The more I tried to get into the deepest part of the saddle, the less right it felt. I was stumped. Usually in that saddle I feel like I'm sitting into the horse once I'm warmed up--when I'm on a good riding streak, that is.
Mico started to get upset with my fidgeting and fiddling--to the point where he was resisting my requests for up transitions by crabbing his haunches to the left. I wondered if I'd soured him to me, like a horse can get ring sour, from all the clumsy riding I've been doing since last fall. It took me a while, but I realized it wasn't a personality clash, it was a matter of discomfort. Duh! Mico reacts to me like he reacts to an uncomfortable saddle--with fussing, kicking and bucking. I told Christine this, and she said that we'd get me sorted out. I think so. I just have to keep riding regularly, and believe that I can improve if I do so. A few lessons wouldn't hurt, either.
Christine's going to take one with at MRF Dressage, and Tony and I are going to tag along and videotape it to see if I might want to try a lesson or two as well.

Comments
Post a Comment