Squeeze it all in

Had a couple of really nice rides on Clover last week: a true road hack of about 2.5 miles on the 18th with Sarah and Nasa. The fields were still pretty wet and buggy so we decided to take it to the streets. It wasn't too busy traffic-wise but still a little scary. There are many reports of motorists intentionally scaring and injuring horses and riders so that's always in the back of one's mind. We took 152 past the narrow bridge by Wadleigh Falls and on to Tuttle Road. I realized we were close to some friends who live off of Tuttle so we road rode around, finding a loop road and my friends' home, but no one was out and about to admire our horses. Clover was a little spooky with random things, like a rattan chair and a man gardening, but traffic didn't bother her a bit.

IMG_20170623_163819028

(Clover interested in cookie; not interested in pricking her ears up for pretty picture. She pricked them up as soon as I put the camera down)

Earlier last week I tacked up and rode out on the newly hayed field, where Katrina and Brianna were schooling Bella over a jump on a small crest. It was a gorgeously sunny but not too hot afternoon, and Clover was so good, trotting and cantering around and moving nicely forward. She did give me a little attitude when I tried riding trot sets away from where Bella was. Clover trotted with her haunches swung left; trying to reverse direction with her ass!

Schooling on the flat last Friday was a different story. It was so humid, my back was sore from haying, and I realized how heavy the material is in my tan breeches. It all combined for a tight seat, but we did OK considering I seem to have forgotten how to coordinate the aids. It's a work in progress is my new mantra and it helps me stay in a more positive frame of mind about my riding. Also, I need some summer breeches.

Melissa rode Clover this weekend so I took the opportunity Saturday to get back out on two legs. Tony and I hiked around College Woods; I'm going to attempt to get there after work and before riding so I can get a little more fitter for riding and hockey season.

[gallery ids="1053187446,1053187445" type="square" columns="2"]

Comments

Popular Posts