In to the indoor
Getting ready to ride last night, I spent several minutes trying to get Clover to look a tiny bit interested in life for a picture, which is hard when she's tacked up, knowing she's going to have to work. The only thing to get her to prick up at least one ear was her stablemate coming in from the pasture. Stay tuned, there will be more pics and I'm sure the bored, disinterested Clover will make an appearance sooner rather than later.

Clover's so alpha, she doesn't have to be expressive. A twitch of her tail or an ear cocked a certain way speaks volumes and other horses bow to her will, which is mainly "get out of the way, that's my water," or "move it, that's my patch of grass" or, "come here and scratch my crest, underling."
So with me tacking her up, she looks bored and even a bit aggravated, unless I'm actively giving her treats or scratching her itchy areas.
Tried to ride in the outdoor ring last night, but the footing was wet and puddle-y, and as I was turning the solar-charged lights back off before heading into the indoor, it started raining again, so I was doubly foiled. The time change and the dreary weather have made me lethargic and cranky, and I'm trying to keep the indoor riding rut at bay as long as I can. Once the really cold, snowy, icy weather sets in I'll be really happy to have an indoor to ride in over the winter--it just gets dull as winter wears on.
Clover was spooky and hesitant again at the back of the indoor, the part that's fenced off and used for storage. The more I worked her, though, the more she focused and settled. Warmed up at the walk and trot with contact, asking for a deeper bend at times when she seemed to blow off a lighter aid. Did bending lines up the long side at the walk, some halts and turns on the haunches to loosen up her hind end. Stuck with mostly circles and trot-walk-trot transitions at the trot, making sure Clover stayed more through to the bridle and not resisting the up transitions. Then a couple turns on the forehand before spending more time on the canter than Monday night. Cooled down on a long rein with contact, trying to encourage stretch in her neck muscles.
She's getting stronger, but I also need to be stronger in my core for more subtle aids. It's hard for me to half halt and keep Clover in the canter, but she's starting to carry herself more. Last Friday's lesson reminded me what it feels like when she's really forward and stepping under with the inside hind. It's taken a while but the muscle memory is slowly waking up.
Also, Happy Holidailies. I'm going to attempt to post every day for the month of December. I'm kind of Grinchy so expect horses and hockey rather than holly and ho ho ho.

Clover's so alpha, she doesn't have to be expressive. A twitch of her tail or an ear cocked a certain way speaks volumes and other horses bow to her will, which is mainly "get out of the way, that's my water," or "move it, that's my patch of grass" or, "come here and scratch my crest, underling."
So with me tacking her up, she looks bored and even a bit aggravated, unless I'm actively giving her treats or scratching her itchy areas.
Tried to ride in the outdoor ring last night, but the footing was wet and puddle-y, and as I was turning the solar-charged lights back off before heading into the indoor, it started raining again, so I was doubly foiled. The time change and the dreary weather have made me lethargic and cranky, and I'm trying to keep the indoor riding rut at bay as long as I can. Once the really cold, snowy, icy weather sets in I'll be really happy to have an indoor to ride in over the winter--it just gets dull as winter wears on.
Clover was spooky and hesitant again at the back of the indoor, the part that's fenced off and used for storage. The more I worked her, though, the more she focused and settled. Warmed up at the walk and trot with contact, asking for a deeper bend at times when she seemed to blow off a lighter aid. Did bending lines up the long side at the walk, some halts and turns on the haunches to loosen up her hind end. Stuck with mostly circles and trot-walk-trot transitions at the trot, making sure Clover stayed more through to the bridle and not resisting the up transitions. Then a couple turns on the forehand before spending more time on the canter than Monday night. Cooled down on a long rein with contact, trying to encourage stretch in her neck muscles.
She's getting stronger, but I also need to be stronger in my core for more subtle aids. It's hard for me to half halt and keep Clover in the canter, but she's starting to carry herself more. Last Friday's lesson reminded me what it feels like when she's really forward and stepping under with the inside hind. It's taken a while but the muscle memory is slowly waking up.
Also, Happy Holidailies. I'm going to attempt to post every day for the month of December. I'm kind of Grinchy so expect horses and hockey rather than holly and ho ho ho.

Comments
Post a Comment