Little lesson last night

Had a brief lesson on Clover last night. I had a bit of a struggle putting on her bridle, and realized the nose band was still partly done up. It's a crank nose band with a flash and I'm not crazy about cranks. I want to get her a regular bridle with a regular flash nose band...anyways. Turns out Dennis came out and rode Clover western for a little bit shortly before my lesson. He wound up riding Clover in Ranger's bridle. No harm done.

Showed Katrina my slow warm up, loose rein walk-trot-sometimes-canter, some bending and leg yielding until she starts to come into the bridle and use her hind end more. I haven't ridden too much in the past month because of the RV trip and hockey, but this warm up has kept me on track and working more patiently and agreeably with Clover.

We worked over trot poles, which also helps Clover loosen up and go more forward, and paused here and there for Sarah and Lexy to go over a jump or two. When I got there Sarah was about to get on, and wanted me to come jump with her, but I was set on a simple lesson on the flat. Definitely when I start riding more consistently. After this week I should be able to.

Kat gave me a good tip for getting Clover "straighter" turning to the left: think slight leg yield around the turn, push her hind out a little with inside leg. It helps activate the left leg for more push and evenness, which also keeps Clover balanced in the bridle and off her forehand. It will come easier with more strength as we continue work. She's actually a lot stronger than when I started riding her again back in April. Slow progress.

I love fall Clover. Her hair is all grown back from the bugs of summer, she's fuzzy with a bit of a neck and shoulder clip, cleaner because it's sheet time, more energy. Of course. I love winter, spring, and summer Clover, too. Fall is just a nice change from the constant itching and scratching of the bug bites.

Comments

Popular Posts