Sidesaddle clinic at Riverside Farm
My second try at sidesaddle. I felt more comfortable, cantered in both directions, and even jumped a tiny crossrail! Gail and Sue from Sidesaddle Success were our very knowledgeable and kind clinicians. Gail taught the lessons and Sue fitted the horses and riders to the right saddles.
[gallery ids="1053183401,1053183400,1053183399,1053183398,1053183397" type="rectangular"]
Once you get used to having both legs on the same side of the horse, it's more secure than you think. Your right leg acts as a brake--it's really important to keep it draped down and close to your left leg; mine wants to shoot out over Clover's shoulder--and you still sit squarely on your seatbones in the saddle. And keep your right shoulder back. Even further than you think. My middle undulates like it's full of jello, so I'd need to work on using my core properly.
I also learned that you can post the trot, you just roll your hips forward and back to the rhythm of the trot. Cantering on the left lead is a little tricky with no outside leg--you really need a good seat aid (and some taps with the whip if you're somewhat uncoordinated like me). You have to think your inside shoulder to the horse's outside ear to keep the canter going properly.
Jumping was scary and exciting! I didn't quite get it, I'd need more practice with coordinating rolling the hips forward and the release, but I have issues with jumping astride. Clover was once again a star and very forgiving of all my discombobulation. 10/10 would try again (and probably will)!
[gallery ids="1053183401,1053183400,1053183399,1053183398,1053183397" type="rectangular"]
Once you get used to having both legs on the same side of the horse, it's more secure than you think. Your right leg acts as a brake--it's really important to keep it draped down and close to your left leg; mine wants to shoot out over Clover's shoulder--and you still sit squarely on your seatbones in the saddle. And keep your right shoulder back. Even further than you think. My middle undulates like it's full of jello, so I'd need to work on using my core properly.
I also learned that you can post the trot, you just roll your hips forward and back to the rhythm of the trot. Cantering on the left lead is a little tricky with no outside leg--you really need a good seat aid (and some taps with the whip if you're somewhat uncoordinated like me). You have to think your inside shoulder to the horse's outside ear to keep the canter going properly.
Jumping was scary and exciting! I didn't quite get it, I'd need more practice with coordinating rolling the hips forward and the release, but I have issues with jumping astride. Clover was once again a star and very forgiving of all my discombobulation. 10/10 would try again (and probably will)!

Comments
Post a Comment