Not even a month in

to re-riding, and I'm letting my head do me in. After a fantastic lesson with Katrina last Friday, the two rides this week have been frustrating and make me wonder if Clover is sound enough for dressage, or if I have it in me to get back to where I was. I completely lost my touch from Friday's lesson--we'd built on the previous lessons, adding leg yields from quarter line to wall and turns on the forehand. We managed to keep it together at the trot. Confidence restored.

Then, I tried an all-purpose Wintec on Clover earlier this week, the wide gullet plate was a shade too wide, and I chalked up a resistant ride to that. But last night, Julia, who owns the saddle and is letting me trial it, installed the medium-wide gullet plate and that didn't seem to help. The saddle should have the same profile as Jen's Wintec dressage that I've been using on Clover: both 500 models, both with the medium wide gullet plate. I changed back to the dressage saddle mid-ride, but it made no difference; I couldn't get Clover connected. I was flustered. I'm forgetting to be patient with myself, but I also wonder if I pushed Clover too much in the last lesson and she's achy. She was more head-bobbing trotting to the right. Weakness or hock changes? Sore back or shoulders? In my head or in her body?

We're going to a sidesaddle clinic Saturday, I hope she's ok for that. We have another lesson Friday so I'll see what Katrina thinks about the all purpose Wintec fit-wise, and see if she can get me on the right track again.

Comments

Popular Posts