The saddle fit dance begins
Picked up a used Theo Sommer event saddle to try on Clover. It fit her pretty well, but the 16 1/2" seat was too small for me. My knees were over the flaps--it was so old school, it barely had a pencil roll for the knee. It would have been perfect, but for the seat size. I'm really hoping to find an older Stubben or Sommer or similar for less than $500. I don't mind a bit of wear or cosmetic damage, as long as the tree and other necessary innards are intact. 17 1/2" seat with a wide tree, please.
I'm having a hard time getting Clover forward enough to get her straight and into the aids. I did a little bit in the ring to see how the saddle was working for us, then gave up and went out into the field. Clover was a bit alert and spooked a litle once when we went over some squishy-wet grass. She was looky again, but much more forward. I had to cut the hack short--the saddle was too uncomfortable in certain areas of my person (heh). I'm going to do more hacking just to keep her more forward, stay out of the ring until she's fitter.
I'm having a hard time getting Clover forward enough to get her straight and into the aids. I did a little bit in the ring to see how the saddle was working for us, then gave up and went out into the field. Clover was a bit alert and spooked a litle once when we went over some squishy-wet grass. She was looky again, but much more forward. I had to cut the hack short--the saddle was too uncomfortable in certain areas of my person (heh). I'm going to do more hacking just to keep her more forward, stay out of the ring until she's fitter.

Comments
Post a Comment