Started out with nothing...

Now I'm here (again)

Six years after divesting myself of all horses and gear, I'm starting from scratch again. I'm taking a break from hockey and reconnecting with Clover again!

She's been a pasture puff for the last year or so. Previous to that, I'd donated her to MRF Dressage's lesson program, with the promise that she'd have a forever home there. Obviously it didn't work out, and fortunately for Clover and me, Jen was willing to add Clover to her small herd two years ago when MRF relocated to another facility.

After the most recent tourney with my hockey team, I realized I need to take a break--it wasn't as fun organizing and putting pressure on myself to be perfect on the ice. Not long after that. I had an epiphany that I can ride and play hockey and have fun doing both, just trying my best. I contacted Jen and asked if Tony and I could come visit Clover, just about two years to the day that Jen moved her to her current farm, which was also the last time I saw Clover. It was like I woke up and kicked myself from walking away from Clover. I offered to help Jen with her, for the rest of Clover's life.

In the meantime, I'm half-leasing her and riding 3-4 days a week. This past week has been just 15-20 minutes of walking, with just a little bit of trot (well...we did take a few steps of canter in both directions the last time I rode this past Friday). I'm taking it slow--Clover's almost 20 and hasn't been in work, and I haven't put my leg across a horse in six years.

I'm curious to know if I can get "it" back (that is, what little I had) and how much I can bring Clover along fitness-wise now that she'd older and had some time off. last week was about reacquainting myself with handling, grooming, tacking up, getting on, etc. (it's kind of like riding a bike--the muscle memory is there). To refresh and inspire my equestrian memories, I've been reading The Older Horse, by Eleanor Kellon, VMD, and How Good Riders Get Good, by Denny Emerson. This week's plan is to get her out on a hack, and increase the work to 20-25 minutes with more trotting and maybe a canter or two. I need to figure out how to get her more forward and responsive to the aids without making her cranky, which is going to be tough because she's in heat. Just like old times! I'm realizing how much I've missed that mare!

Comments

Popular Posts