Dressage is not a struggle
As a re-rider (a re-re-rider? More like a re-re rider), there are a lot of firsts...first ride in years, first hack, first lesson, etc. Last night I had my first proper lesson in ages, with my friend Katrina from Frost Hill Farm. We went through the UNH Instructor's course together, and while I realized I wasn't cut out for teaching, Katrina continued on and now teaches animal science at a high school as well as riding. She's come back around more to the French/Portuguese school we were introduced to in Instructor's; for a while we both rode with a more German school trainer (of course they can be interchangeable). I have to say, after first try, the lighter French school agreed with Clover. So much less resistance when I got the aids correct.
I told Katrina I wanted to really continue working on developing an independent seat, so she had me do scissors and knee raises while Clover walked on a loose rein (while I hoped Clover wouldn't spook at all the stuff stored at the end of the small indoor). After gathering up the reins a bit, Katrina had me do a rein-back, to loosen Clover's pelvis and hind joints and raise her back a bit. She said I should do several rein-backs each time I school. Then the work began in earnest. I should mention that the entire lesson was at the walk!
Of course, being excited and a little nervous, I'm having trouble recalling everything, so here are the major points I do recall:
Started with flexions in hand to see what we had to work with
Don't pull hands back
Relax seat and forearms
Light squeezes on rein; outside rein supports. etc.--good review of aids
I need training wheels--Katrina had me put my hands over hers to feel squeezes on reins
Oliveira exercise: Small circle, push barrel out
3 loop serpentine--pick a point on opposite wall to focus on
Clover was more forward throughout this ride than she has been. Her ears pricked forward at times and that was encouraging. I'm excited to be getting back to it, though still cautious because of Clover's age and lack of condition. I really need to find a good all-purpose or jumping saddle to hack in.
I told Katrina I wanted to really continue working on developing an independent seat, so she had me do scissors and knee raises while Clover walked on a loose rein (while I hoped Clover wouldn't spook at all the stuff stored at the end of the small indoor). After gathering up the reins a bit, Katrina had me do a rein-back, to loosen Clover's pelvis and hind joints and raise her back a bit. She said I should do several rein-backs each time I school. Then the work began in earnest. I should mention that the entire lesson was at the walk!
Of course, being excited and a little nervous, I'm having trouble recalling everything, so here are the major points I do recall:
Started with flexions in hand to see what we had to work with
Don't pull hands back
Relax seat and forearms
Light squeezes on rein; outside rein supports. etc.--good review of aids
I need training wheels--Katrina had me put my hands over hers to feel squeezes on reins
Oliveira exercise: Small circle, push barrel out
3 loop serpentine--pick a point on opposite wall to focus on
Clover was more forward throughout this ride than she has been. Her ears pricked forward at times and that was encouraging. I'm excited to be getting back to it, though still cautious because of Clover's age and lack of condition. I really need to find a good all-purpose or jumping saddle to hack in.

Comments
Post a Comment