Steady on

So, it seems that I'm finally back in the groove. I've been lunging and riding Keane regularly (4-5 days a week) and I'm starting to see the results. Keane's top line is slowly filling out, he's obedient on the lunge, and, for the most part, he's been good under saddle. Granted, up until today I've only been riding him at the walk, but for my own confidence I'm going slowly and gradually building up. Keane, for his part, is ready to go. The pace at which we're going is all about me.

Yesterday was rough. Keane was in a bit of a mood, and I was tenser than I have been. I longed him and it was ok, but when I got on, he started fussing a lot, tossing his head nearly into my face and offering to rear when I corrected him. My nerves were getting shot, so I put him back on the longe in the ring, took a few deep breaths, and remounted once I'd finished the second longing session. He was fine when I asked him to walk and halt, but would throw his head up when I asked him to walk off from the halt. So, I would bend him as I asked for the walk, and it helped. All I did was ride him up and down the dirt driveway leading to the ring.

Today was much better--armed with a running martingale and my body protector, I longed Keane (note: I did not longe him in the running martingale!) before getting on. He's fine with me getting on using our mounting rock, stands still and waits for me to pick up both stirrups before moving off, which, of course, I insist on. We walked to the ring and did some walk work and halts. The steering is there; I just need to be more sure of myself. Finally I did a few short trots in both directions: hooray! He was back to his normal, compliant self today and I made sure to give him a lot of good boys.

Bear in mind, up until I started working him again last month, he'd been off for the last 6 months. But, like I figured, he's retained everything and just needs some fitness and development so we can start to progress. And I need to get over the tentativeness, which I will the more I ride him. I'll be taking him to our first lesson since last November tomorrow night, and I'm looking forward to getting some feedback and direction. I'm eager to get to the point where I can just get on and ride him and get past the extreme green stage.

Comments

Popular Posts