Ice out
Finally, the ring is clear and reasonably dry enough to start working Keane. I've been biding my time, waiting for the snow and ice to melt, by taking the shedding blade to Keane on a regular basis to try and hopefully expedite the shedding process. He's just shedding a little at a time, though, being mostly Arab. Gotta hang on to that hair, lord knows it's not the desert out here.
Er, anyways, I shedded and groomed Keane, put his bridle on and took him out for a spin, not sure what to expect. Considering I haven't worked him since last November, he was pretty good. He got a little silly a couple of times, but remembered all the voice commands and stayed out on the circle. Once again I thanked Kelly for installing a good set of brakes on Keane--he knows whoa very well.
I'm hoping that it doesn't rain too much and soak the ring again, I'd like to be able to keep Keane in consistent work now. My plan is to lunge him with just the bridle a few times to get him back into work mode, then add the saddle, and then, when he has a little more strength and balance, attach the side reins. I'd like to get him stronger over his top line before I start riding him again. I do plan on taking him over to Michele's when I actually get on him again, so I have the benefit of a lesson and four solid walls around us.
He seemed to enjoy having something to do; he loves attention and I get the feeling that he's going to be a horse that needs a job to keep him busy and his mind engaged.
Er, anyways, I shedded and groomed Keane, put his bridle on and took him out for a spin, not sure what to expect. Considering I haven't worked him since last November, he was pretty good. He got a little silly a couple of times, but remembered all the voice commands and stayed out on the circle. Once again I thanked Kelly for installing a good set of brakes on Keane--he knows whoa very well.
I'm hoping that it doesn't rain too much and soak the ring again, I'd like to be able to keep Keane in consistent work now. My plan is to lunge him with just the bridle a few times to get him back into work mode, then add the saddle, and then, when he has a little more strength and balance, attach the side reins. I'd like to get him stronger over his top line before I start riding him again. I do plan on taking him over to Michele's when I actually get on him again, so I have the benefit of a lesson and four solid walls around us.
He seemed to enjoy having something to do; he loves attention and I get the feeling that he's going to be a horse that needs a job to keep him busy and his mind engaged.

Comments
Post a Comment