Why is it
When I have awesome rides, no one is around to document it? You know, for posterity educational purposes?
I rode in a clinic with Jeri Nieder this afternoon, on a horse I've been riding once a week in lessons for the past month or so. He's a TB/draft cross, more on the TB side, but without the condition. He's been working 3 days a week or so--he's in between situations, I guess is how I'd put it. One lease to another. Meanwhile, we're testing him out as a lesson horse.
Typically, in lessons, I struggle with my lack of independent seat/coordination of the aids, and Freedom simultaneously rushes/gets behind the leg. Jeri really pushed me to establish the inside bend, while regulating with the outside aids (basic stuff, right?) She had me really glom on with my thigh, while keeping my calf at the ready (not nagging, of course), on-off with the calf as needed, and touch with the whip if the leg was disregarded. One aid at a time.
We worked on spiraling in and out, which I often do in lessons and schooling on my own; only, Jeri had cones set up, in a row, bisecting a 20 meter circle. The point was to maintain the bend, using the cones as a guide to decrease the circle. It really sharpened me up coordinating the inside bending aids and the outside regulating aids. She suggested riding with the inside rein slightly shorter on a circle to create the bend more easily. I actually did pretty good to the left, even at the canter.
Things got a little tougher going to the right. Freedom is weaker in the left hind, and hasn't been ridden too consistently, so he isn't as strong as he could be. As long as I kept him bent correctly (you'd be amazed at how easy it is to give up the bend) and kept him moving off my legs, he went well. It was easier for me to control his shoulders, especially going to the left, he wanted to push them right, so once again, shoulder in is my friend. But this is me we're talking about, and consistency/having a clue isn't my strong point. I'm getting there, though. I understood what Jeri was saying about the aids, mostly it's my body that needs to catch up, and thanks to lessons with Michele, I'm starting to get there.
As I was saying, the work to the right was more difficult, it was harder to maintain the bend and coordinate the aids, but it happened here and there and we had a surprisingly good session. Usually it takes me forever to "figure out" a horse, but I really like Freedom and feel comfortable working things out on him. Jeri said she didn't see me in a chair seat, and to keep working on the spiraling in and out with shoulder in as necessary, as well as keeping my elbow while being more relaxed with my forearm. What was it she was saying ... imaging playing badminton, and the force used in the stroke, then imagine painting, and the fluidity in your forearm. Don't give up your elbow, but don't give it away, either. Soften your forearm muscles.
I'm not articulating this well ... but it was a great ride, I worked hard and was reminded how hard you need to work when you ride. Either you're working, or you're walking.
I rode in a clinic with Jeri Nieder this afternoon, on a horse I've been riding once a week in lessons for the past month or so. He's a TB/draft cross, more on the TB side, but without the condition. He's been working 3 days a week or so--he's in between situations, I guess is how I'd put it. One lease to another. Meanwhile, we're testing him out as a lesson horse.
Typically, in lessons, I struggle with my lack of independent seat/coordination of the aids, and Freedom simultaneously rushes/gets behind the leg. Jeri really pushed me to establish the inside bend, while regulating with the outside aids (basic stuff, right?) She had me really glom on with my thigh, while keeping my calf at the ready (not nagging, of course), on-off with the calf as needed, and touch with the whip if the leg was disregarded. One aid at a time.
We worked on spiraling in and out, which I often do in lessons and schooling on my own; only, Jeri had cones set up, in a row, bisecting a 20 meter circle. The point was to maintain the bend, using the cones as a guide to decrease the circle. It really sharpened me up coordinating the inside bending aids and the outside regulating aids. She suggested riding with the inside rein slightly shorter on a circle to create the bend more easily. I actually did pretty good to the left, even at the canter.
Things got a little tougher going to the right. Freedom is weaker in the left hind, and hasn't been ridden too consistently, so he isn't as strong as he could be. As long as I kept him bent correctly (you'd be amazed at how easy it is to give up the bend) and kept him moving off my legs, he went well. It was easier for me to control his shoulders, especially going to the left, he wanted to push them right, so once again, shoulder in is my friend. But this is me we're talking about, and consistency/having a clue isn't my strong point. I'm getting there, though. I understood what Jeri was saying about the aids, mostly it's my body that needs to catch up, and thanks to lessons with Michele, I'm starting to get there.
As I was saying, the work to the right was more difficult, it was harder to maintain the bend and coordinate the aids, but it happened here and there and we had a surprisingly good session. Usually it takes me forever to "figure out" a horse, but I really like Freedom and feel comfortable working things out on him. Jeri said she didn't see me in a chair seat, and to keep working on the spiraling in and out with shoulder in as necessary, as well as keeping my elbow while being more relaxed with my forearm. What was it she was saying ... imaging playing badminton, and the force used in the stroke, then imagine painting, and the fluidity in your forearm. Don't give up your elbow, but don't give it away, either. Soften your forearm muscles.
I'm not articulating this well ... but it was a great ride, I worked hard and was reminded how hard you need to work when you ride. Either you're working, or you're walking.

Comments
Post a Comment