First spook

Survived my first spook on Keane. It wasn't major, I've been riding him around more and more of the indoor, instead of just the 20 m circle at the less spooky end of the arena. We were tracking right, and passed by the big double door at the spooky end, which overlooks the pastures that are just down the hill from the arena. As we went by, Keane swung around and turned himself into a pretzel to look back at the door--his left shoulder and hip were practically touching, or so it seemed. But, it didn't escalate, he was just distracted, and I was able to continue riding on with no fuss. It was good to get that over with, to see how he moves in a spook under saddle. Now I just need to come off him a couple of times to remind myself that it's not so bad. It sounds strange, but it builds my confidence when it's happened. Getting over the dreaded falling off, that is.

I'd lunged him in side reins before getting on--he was inattentive and speedy, and at one point, tracking left, before I could get him slowed down and organized, he tripped hard and nearly went down on his nose. He was ok, but he did scrape his inside right cannon slightly--just barely some hair off. He's barefoot, but definitely due for a trim. The last three times I lunged him, he's been more trippy, but only when he rushes and gets inverted. I told Michele my concerns about the quality of my training and Keane possibly going backwards, but Michele said I just needed to pick my battles (rushing vs. coming in on the circle) one at a time, and he's only 3, etc.

I've been trying different snaffle bits on him, he was started in a full cheek eggbutt with a single joint, and when I picked him up Kelli assured me I could put any bit in his mouth. So I started using a loose ring french link, which I think had too much play in it for him. I also tried a loose ring happy mouth with a single joint, but it still had a bit too much play, so I finally put him back in a full cheek single jointed happy mouth, with keepers, and his mouth was a lot quieter with it. He seems to prefer a more stable bit in his mouth at the moment.

Also in gear news, I've ordered a Kieffer Wien on trial. It's the same saddle I've been riding and working Keane in since he's been at Michele's, and I prefer it to the Passiers I've been riding in. I've heard good things about both older Passiers and Kieffers, and I'm hoping this one will work out. It's a 17.5" with a medium tree, and Kieffer trees are adjustable, so that's good for when Keane fills out. Someday.

Edited to add some info on full cheek snaffles:

Full Cheek bits are a fixed cheek bit, this may be useful for horses that are a bit unsure of the bit as it doesn’t move around to much in the mouth, it should encourage the horse to stretch into the contact. A fixed bit would be less suitable if your horse is prone to leaning or taking hold of the bit.

Full cheek bits are very useful for breaking in, or bringing on of young horses, as they help tremendously with the turning aids, and help to teach the horse to turn, the full cheek bit does not slide through the mouth as would a normal snaffle would if your horse doesn’t like to turn. The bit is particularly useful for horses that nap, as the bit will help if the horse suddenly makes a dash for the gate or for the nosey horses who spend half their time looking at what they are missing whilst being in the paddock, The full cheek bit works by applying pressure to the cheek when an turning aid is asked. The full cheek bits can be used with or without fulmer loops/keepers, although many would say that the keepers keep the bit in the correct place ... [snipped a bit about keepers supposedly adding slight poll pressure, I don't think it does, just like I don't think a Baucher is a "mild leverage" bit, either. They just stabilize the bit in the mouth.]

Comments

Popular Posts