Second ride on Keane
I went down to Kelli's this past Saturday for my second ride on Keane. He was better when I lunged him this time, though when he first started out going to the left (his better side), he seemed a little hurried--maybe worried. But he stays out on the circle, and goes along nice and forward, and goes well in loosely adjusted side reins. He did slip and lose his hind end at the canter, but then I saw there is a leak in the arena ceiling in that spot, so I avoided it after and he was fine. Going to the left, though, he still tries to poop out, and if I'm not right on top of it, he'll stop and try to turn in a little. But overall he's doing well, walking, trotting and cantering fairly balanced.
I got on and rode again. Kelli's doing a very thorough job, as only someone who's started lots of babies can do. Very systematic and doesn't move on to the next step until a concept is well learned. He stands perfectly still for mounting, moves off the leg and goes around nicely. Steering is still coming along, but he's starting to respond to basic inside leg - outside rein aids. I trotted him around the entire arena in both directions this time, and he does need some leg to keep him going when he gets distracted, he wasn't too looky at all, just at the back door (a glance) and the corner by the front door where the mounting block and equipment are kept.
He's really comfortable! Kelli says his trot can get really big and flashy up front, so she just keeps him balanced and toned down. She'll be riding him outside more and working on his canter--maybe next time I visit in a week or so, I'll get in a few steps of canter, too! Still, as excited as I am, I'm also terrified when I get him home in 5 weeks--riding out in the ring with no walls or fences, getting him used to trails, etc.--I'm doubting my ability to stay on top of things enough to keep him focused. Then again, it's not rocket science, and I'll be riding with Michele weekly, so things shouldn't go too far astray.
I got on and rode again. Kelli's doing a very thorough job, as only someone who's started lots of babies can do. Very systematic and doesn't move on to the next step until a concept is well learned. He stands perfectly still for mounting, moves off the leg and goes around nicely. Steering is still coming along, but he's starting to respond to basic inside leg - outside rein aids. I trotted him around the entire arena in both directions this time, and he does need some leg to keep him going when he gets distracted, he wasn't too looky at all, just at the back door (a glance) and the corner by the front door where the mounting block and equipment are kept.
He's really comfortable! Kelli says his trot can get really big and flashy up front, so she just keeps him balanced and toned down. She'll be riding him outside more and working on his canter--maybe next time I visit in a week or so, I'll get in a few steps of canter, too! Still, as excited as I am, I'm also terrified when I get him home in 5 weeks--riding out in the ring with no walls or fences, getting him used to trails, etc.--I'm doubting my ability to stay on top of things enough to keep him focused. Then again, it's not rocket science, and I'll be riding with Michele weekly, so things shouldn't go too far astray.

Comments
Post a Comment