Lesson on Katja

Another lesson with improvement! I haven't been riding much outside of lessons, so I'm still not as strong and balanced as I should be, but with Keane at the trainer's I'll be riding Mico more (starting tonight!) Last night, my left leg started out all over the place, but after having warmed up and started working on figures, I got better control of it as the lesson went on.

The last couple of lessons I've been concentrating on feel--developing contact. Last night I really started to catch on to those little moments when I take back on the reins; I'm learning to use rein aids without taking back. I'm also figuring out how to really coordinate the right and left rein aids--when they're used together, they are often used in different ways, not just the same aid on each rein. I have a hard time controlling the left rein; my hand is dead. We did a lot of spiralling in and out on circles at all three gaits, as well as counter flexing (shoulder out, maybe?) on the circle. Lots of work on 10m circles to get Katja supple. There weren't any a-ha! moments, but little flashes of understanding in my brain and body, working together. My brain comprehends much more than my body does at this point.

Comments

Popular Posts