We can do this.
I've been taking with Tony about finances for putting Keane into training, it looks like we are good to go for two months, rather than the one month that I originally thought was all I could afford. At least with two months, theoretically the first month is for ground work and backing, and the second month is more for under saddle training. Last night I put a saddle pad and surcingle on Keane, as well as his bridle. He was busy with his head, but not so bad that I couldn't bridle him. He nibbles the bit and eventually will open his mouth for it, I don't rush him. I put a Happy Mouth full cheeked snaffle (blue!) on Clover's first ever bridle, a cheapo flat english bridle with no flash of any sort. Just like "the George" is always going on about: conservative flat tack. Except cheap. But it's perfect as a training bridle, and it fits Keane's long but narrow head well.
I put his halter on over the bridle and led him around for a short while. He doesn't seem to care at all about the surcingle, but he does mouth the bit a lot which is normal for a youngster. I wrapped the bit with Sealtex so that gets chewed up and not the bit. Soon I'll bring my saddle over to the barn and try it on his back, to see how he reacts, to get him used to it, and to see how it fits at this point. He's bound to muscle up quite a bit once he starts work.
I put his halter on over the bridle and led him around for a short while. He doesn't seem to care at all about the surcingle, but he does mouth the bit a lot which is normal for a youngster. I wrapped the bit with Sealtex so that gets chewed up and not the bit. Soon I'll bring my saddle over to the barn and try it on his back, to see how he reacts, to get him used to it, and to see how it fits at this point. He's bound to muscle up quite a bit once he starts work.

Comments
Post a Comment