Paint drying, my ass.

Another Tuesday, another lesson on Katja. I missed last week's because, I had such a heinous migraine, it actually wiped me out for the entire week. So, I expected to be weaker in last night's lesson. My balance wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but my legs were all over the place while warming up. Once I started doing some exercises my lower legs improved with more of a job to do. We just spent time warming up at the trot around the arena--I was crazy with the forward and posting high--and did some work on the circle. I'm learning to keep the circle a correct figure with Katja--going to the right, if we start the circle t A, between K and X Katja tends to fall in. Seriously, after 12 years of dressage work, a 20m circle still proves challenging. Paint drying, my ass.

We did some spiraling in and leg yielding out on the circle, counter bends down the long sides, and counter flexions on the circle, which helped me get Katja's shoulders straighter. She was heavier and stiff going to the right, but the exercises loosened her up and eventually I had an even feel on the reins. As sloppy as my trot work felt to me, the canter felt improved, my seat felt more solid and I felt more balanced, though I need to work more on keeping my shoulders back and stomach forward. Amazing what you can do when you use your stomach muscles. Michele said my hands have improved a lot over the past two years, though last night I was carrying them a bit high at the beginning.

I forgot to mention, at the clinic a couple of weekends ago, Pam Goodrich said Clover was cute! But, won't give anything more than she absolutely has to. One of Michele's students rode Clover, she'd only ridden her 3 times before. Last weekend when I was sick, I missed Clover in the Sharon McCusker clinic. Michele said she did well and has even improved in lessons since. Thank god Michele likes Clover so much and she fits into the lesson program so well. I spent some time hanging out with Clover after my ride last night--after I gave her the few treats I had, she was her usual, "whatever, human. Pet me if you like," and so I did. And her coat is really soft now. She's content and in good shape.

Keane leaves this weekend! I'm going to deworm him and have ordered Smart Pak supplements to send with him. I'm keeping him on MSM and vitamins, and am adding Omega Horseshine because, his coat is not as sleek as I'd like and he's a little dandruffy. The Horseshine got good reviews, and the deworming should help. His shedding out phase has always been scruffy, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with him being a November baby. I body clipped him when he was a weanling as it was getting on to June and he was still a yakling. If it is nutrition, the supplement should help address it on that score.

Kelli feeds alfalfa cubes and beet pulp (right now Keane gets beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, as well as oil and Photo Finish vitamins), and had turn out with sheds, so 24-7 turn out may be possible. She has tack, but I'll bring his brushes, bridle, saddle pad, cooler and rainsheet. She free lunges and does ground work the first week, and then usually backs the horse by the end of the first week. I asked if she had students do her training (it's not uncommon for trainers to have working students get on), but she said she did all the training herself. Not that I mind other people getting on Keane, but I want him to get a good, consistent start.

Comments

Popular Posts