Getting ready to send Keane out
I called Kelli Kinney from Jest-A-Bit Farm yesterday to confirm a stall for Keane for May and June. I'm so psyched, it looks like he'll be down there for May-June, and longer if necessary to get him confirmed. It's hard for me to believe that I'll actually be riding him in a month or two, and taking him into lessons with Michele this summer.
Last night's lesson on Katja was pretty ok--we worked on some exercises that Pam had her doing in the clinic this past Sunday. Mostly bending, small 10 m circles and exaggerating the bend. Also counter bending to help get Katja into the outside rein (esp. going to the left). At times I could get her on the aids, but I have a hard time maintaining consistency. Michele says part of it is that Katja is big and stiff, but I feel a lot of it is down to my lack of feel and coordination. But my legs are improving, especially my left leg, which I was able to use more effectively to support the bend. My balance seemed to be better than last week as well.
I need to remember to keep my hands lower and wrists softer, and work more on keeping my legs underneath me. The canter work was improved as well, sitting up more, less defensive now that I know that Katja has a large stride and isn't actually running away. Quite the opposite actually.
I'm still feeling optimistic about getting Keane broke and my own riding, now that I've gotten rid of the pressure and expectations I heaped on myself.
Last night's lesson on Katja was pretty ok--we worked on some exercises that Pam had her doing in the clinic this past Sunday. Mostly bending, small 10 m circles and exaggerating the bend. Also counter bending to help get Katja into the outside rein (esp. going to the left). At times I could get her on the aids, but I have a hard time maintaining consistency. Michele says part of it is that Katja is big and stiff, but I feel a lot of it is down to my lack of feel and coordination. But my legs are improving, especially my left leg, which I was able to use more effectively to support the bend. My balance seemed to be better than last week as well.
I need to remember to keep my hands lower and wrists softer, and work more on keeping my legs underneath me. The canter work was improved as well, sitting up more, less defensive now that I know that Katja has a large stride and isn't actually running away. Quite the opposite actually.
I'm still feeling optimistic about getting Keane broke and my own riding, now that I've gotten rid of the pressure and expectations I heaped on myself.

Comments
Post a Comment