AWS Inspections
[gallery ids="1053183371,1053183368,1053183369,1053183370,1053183372" type="rectangular"]
We took Keane up to East Ridge Farm near Bangor, Me. for the AWS inspection. His sire is AWS (and RPSI), and it reflects better on his record if his get are registered and doing well in hand and performance wise. Plus I have to say it was interesting to have a sport horse judge evaluate his potential.
I was impressed with Keane's attitude and behavior for the entire outing. The trailer ride was 5+ hours, including rest stops, and he took it all in stride, even watching the big rigs as they passed us. Clover went along as company, and she was her usual stolid self. They both settled into their stalls at East Ridge with no fuss and ate their dinners as eagerly as ever--though Clover seemed to be dismayed at being shut into a stall--she'll stand in the run in all day, but as soon as the option of walking out is removed, she gets sullen and even depressed, and Keane too distracted by all the new horses for either one to really eat much of their hay. Keane called a few times but in general looked as if he were perfectly comfortable being stalled.
I had a long legged handler run Keane through the triangle--he's perfectly willing to trot at my pace, but I know he's got a lot more trot in him, so I hired someone to do the job. He was presented to the judge for initial impressions, then walked around the triangle, then trotted and finally allowed to move at liberty so the judge could see his way of going completely unencumbered by human interference. He didn't disappoint. When they handed out the awards at the end of the day, the judge said Keane had barely missed out on winning, by two-tenths--pretty much the amount he missed being accepted into the breed as Blue preferred. I guess his long pasterns and two year old top line and hind end did him in. Still, second overall on the day and a Red preferred classification isn't too bad for these parts, and the judge assessed his potential to be a sport horse as "good."
We took Keane up to East Ridge Farm near Bangor, Me. for the AWS inspection. His sire is AWS (and RPSI), and it reflects better on his record if his get are registered and doing well in hand and performance wise. Plus I have to say it was interesting to have a sport horse judge evaluate his potential.
I was impressed with Keane's attitude and behavior for the entire outing. The trailer ride was 5+ hours, including rest stops, and he took it all in stride, even watching the big rigs as they passed us. Clover went along as company, and she was her usual stolid self. They both settled into their stalls at East Ridge with no fuss and ate their dinners as eagerly as ever--though Clover seemed to be dismayed at being shut into a stall--she'll stand in the run in all day, but as soon as the option of walking out is removed, she gets sullen and even depressed, and Keane too distracted by all the new horses for either one to really eat much of their hay. Keane called a few times but in general looked as if he were perfectly comfortable being stalled.
I had a long legged handler run Keane through the triangle--he's perfectly willing to trot at my pace, but I know he's got a lot more trot in him, so I hired someone to do the job. He was presented to the judge for initial impressions, then walked around the triangle, then trotted and finally allowed to move at liberty so the judge could see his way of going completely unencumbered by human interference. He didn't disappoint. When they handed out the awards at the end of the day, the judge said Keane had barely missed out on winning, by two-tenths--pretty much the amount he missed being accepted into the breed as Blue preferred. I guess his long pasterns and two year old top line and hind end did him in. Still, second overall on the day and a Red preferred classification isn't too bad for these parts, and the judge assessed his potential to be a sport horse as "good."

Comments
Post a Comment