Jump lesson

Went to Hilltop for a jump lesson--the first one in how many years?--with MaryAnn. She started me off in the indoor, with some ground poles and cross rail grids, to see how Clover and I went, and shortened my stirrups right off the bat. Even though I've been taking regular dressage lessons for over a year now, and riding more regularly, I'm way out of shape and struggled with all of the half seat. I think being weak made it harder for me to cope with trying to ride Clover forward and keep everything together over the gymnastics, as simple as they were (thank god). She kept me talking so I'd breathe, I'd told her I was feeling nervous/awkward/tense about not having jumped since Kingsbury last year.

Actually, I did do some jumping early last month, in a half hearted too little-too late attempt to get ready for a clinic with Amy Barrington, which I scratched out of, realizing the futility of my efforts. Still, my skills are rusty, and what skills I have aren't very good. I never got jumping. Hopefully regular lessons will help do the trick. Anyways, hands in front of nose, a line from shoulders and knees, belly button up (chest open, line from belly button to throat), set up a cross rail and jump it five times each ride, just do it, no excuses!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are getting back into jumping. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts