Lesson
Tried out v. expensive (gasp) Sankey jumping saddle on trial from Advanced Saddle Fit. Turns out it was custom made for the proprietor and her horse; it was too wide for him. I guess Advanced were considering retailing this Sankey guy's saddles. His work is nice, and he is a member of the Society of Master Saddlers in the UK. Other than that, not a lot of information about him or his work.
Briefly, before I forget:
Wanted to ride in saddle in lesson so Michele could see Clover's reaction, to see if she was moving comfortably, also to see if I could do dressage in a jumping saddle because Lord knows I can't afford a dressage saddle just yet and I have to sell all the other saddles to afford this one. The answer is yes on both counts.
Warm up: mare-ish, getting into estrous time of year, longer days, warmer weather (comparatively). Post higher in warm up, etc. etc.
"Lise" exercises to strengthen my legs: half seat at trot and canter, alternating low (upper body close to Clover's neck) and regular half seat. So nice in this saddle, so easy to balance. Must remember to not roach back--I am out of shape!
Canter work: on left lead, tap with whip when raising inside rein, helps bring hind end under. Test self carriage for a single step--reminds me to support with leg aids and keep riding forward! I could feel her moving well and freely under me, and checking in the mirror, her expression and attitude was definitely not cranky, except for initial mare-mood.
Speaking of: picking her back up after a break, back to work, too bad. She has to work; I have to minimize the crankiness and get her back into work mode and not indulge her.
Exercises:
Turns up the center line, leg yield to quarter line, canter in corner. Need to work on center lines, accurate turns, keeping going through turn. I used to do great c-lines.
Double broken lines, shallow bends between letters along long side. Prepare and ask for bends, don't neck rein with opposite rein, cheater! More difficult going to the left. Alternated broken line with turn up quarterline/leg yield on each circuit of arena.
3 loop serpentines
4 loop serpentines: Ride up and through--no fudging this exercise. More physical understanding of why you can't ride with hands without legs, or steer a horse like a bicycle. Of course I understood the theory, but now I understand physically, too. With a well-balanced, treed saddle, even through it's a jumping saddle, I was able to sit and use my abdominal muscles and the rest of my seat more effectively, and ride the exercise much better the second and third time through.
I love the saddle. For the first time, I wasn't fighting myself to stay in position, I even stopped pinching with my knees so much. Tony videoed the lesson and it looked pretty good, considering I've only been riding 2-3 times a week all winter. Tonight I'll do some jumping in it, and see if I really want to keep it.
~~~
Lent is here. Maybe I’ll ride for 40 days. I don’t think my horse would appreciate that.
Briefly, before I forget:
Wanted to ride in saddle in lesson so Michele could see Clover's reaction, to see if she was moving comfortably, also to see if I could do dressage in a jumping saddle because Lord knows I can't afford a dressage saddle just yet and I have to sell all the other saddles to afford this one. The answer is yes on both counts.
Warm up: mare-ish, getting into estrous time of year, longer days, warmer weather (comparatively). Post higher in warm up, etc. etc.
"Lise" exercises to strengthen my legs: half seat at trot and canter, alternating low (upper body close to Clover's neck) and regular half seat. So nice in this saddle, so easy to balance. Must remember to not roach back--I am out of shape!
Canter work: on left lead, tap with whip when raising inside rein, helps bring hind end under. Test self carriage for a single step--reminds me to support with leg aids and keep riding forward! I could feel her moving well and freely under me, and checking in the mirror, her expression and attitude was definitely not cranky, except for initial mare-mood.
Speaking of: picking her back up after a break, back to work, too bad. She has to work; I have to minimize the crankiness and get her back into work mode and not indulge her.
Exercises:
Turns up the center line, leg yield to quarter line, canter in corner. Need to work on center lines, accurate turns, keeping going through turn. I used to do great c-lines.
Double broken lines, shallow bends between letters along long side. Prepare and ask for bends, don't neck rein with opposite rein, cheater! More difficult going to the left. Alternated broken line with turn up quarterline/leg yield on each circuit of arena.
3 loop serpentines
4 loop serpentines: Ride up and through--no fudging this exercise. More physical understanding of why you can't ride with hands without legs, or steer a horse like a bicycle. Of course I understood the theory, but now I understand physically, too. With a well-balanced, treed saddle, even through it's a jumping saddle, I was able to sit and use my abdominal muscles and the rest of my seat more effectively, and ride the exercise much better the second and third time through.
I love the saddle. For the first time, I wasn't fighting myself to stay in position, I even stopped pinching with my knees so much. Tony videoed the lesson and it looked pretty good, considering I've only been riding 2-3 times a week all winter. Tonight I'll do some jumping in it, and see if I really want to keep it.
~~~
Lent is here. Maybe I’ll ride for 40 days. I don’t think my horse would appreciate that.

That saddle looks gorgeous Lise! I hope the saddle fitter can come soon for you... I don't have internet at home yet so I can only check my MySpace through a proxy which means I can't leave comments for anyone. I don't have your email address so I couldn't get back to you at all - sorry! MaryAnn actually has a horse show on April 15th that I'm going to but thanks for the offer of the clinic. The next time Lynn Coates-Holmes comes to Hilltop would you like to do a lesson with us? Privates are $70/hour, I don't what it is for a semi-private and she really is awesome. Let me know! MY email is mhart@eastern.com
ReplyDelete