Misspent youth.

I’ve been scanning some old horse pics from my misspent youth. Like this one:

rust breeches

I wish someone, some kindly instructor, 4-H leader, maybe even a fellow competitor had taken me aside and told me how to sport a more classic look, like a navy coat and light breeches. But, rust was in in the ‘80s. Also, the coat was Savile Row. It wasn’t that bad.




Among my scant accomplishments of the weekend was getting on my mare yesterday. I finally managed to try Christine’s dressage saddle—we have the same make of treeless saddle—and it did make a difference. I didn’t have to fight as much to keep my seat plugged in, and since the cut of the flap is straighter, it didn’t interfere with with Clover’s shoulders like the GP (all purpose) does if I don’t set it back far enough. My trainer had been after me to borrow it ever since I’ve had to revert back to the treeless GP saddle when the dressage saddle I’d been riding in, a Wintec Isabell that helped me really start using my seat, started to give Clover problems.

Blah blah … yawn. So my options are, find another Flexion user who wants a GP and wouldn’t mind trading, or sell the GP and the Isabell and buy the new version of the Flexion, the Fhoenix [sic]. Aiee. Yawn. Thinking out loud, sorry.

I’m not ready to give up on the treeless saddles. I’m not a natural horsemanship person; I’m into common sense, solid dressage basics, a balanced seat and well made, properly fitted tack. Unfortunately, these days saddlemakers just forgot how to make tree points or something, because they all dig into the shoulders of the horses I know, and if they don’t, then the saddles are more often than not too wide. I’m sick of buying and selling saddles every time my horse changes shape in the slightest bit—horses change throughout the year, especially mine, since I ride less in the winter and then as we leg up for the coming season, well, you get the picture. Blah, blah blah.

Comments

Popular Posts