Like I mentioned
Like I mentioned, Keane turned 2 years old last week, he's just about 14.1 hands, and I've started ponying him on trail rides, mostly at the walk. We started off yesterday by going past the neighbor mounted up on his backhoe, working on the stone wall in the front yard. Keane didn't twitch an ear, he was too busy fussing about getting out of the paddock and going somewhere finally! I managed to wear the poor bugger out: lots of long, deep puddles, hillwork, some bushwhacking, fallen branches and trees to step over (fergit cavalletti!) and even some trotting.
The day before I tried a surcingle on him after letting him sniff, lick and gnaw on it, and had sacked him out with it all over. I laid it on his back over a saddle pad, and sloooooowly, barely tightened it up enough to keep it on for a lead around ... "so what's the big deal, lady?"
Bombproof. Endlessly curious and bombproof. Last week Tony was doing excavator work in the paddock, and Keane had his head stuck in the cab, checking things out. Amazing.
But then again, the vet was out to do the horses' teeth on Keane's birthday and he wasn't as cooperative as I'd hoped. He didn't need any work (Keane will be losing his milk teeth soon, so no need to have them floated), but he does have wolf teeth coming in that will have to come out in the spring when the vet comes back to do their shots. I need to work with Keane so he'll bring his head down and keep it down for minor procedures, like a vet looking into his mouth--or eventually, me putting a bit into it after he gets the wolf teeth out.
The day before I tried a surcingle on him after letting him sniff, lick and gnaw on it, and had sacked him out with it all over. I laid it on his back over a saddle pad, and sloooooowly, barely tightened it up enough to keep it on for a lead around ... "so what's the big deal, lady?"
Bombproof. Endlessly curious and bombproof. Last week Tony was doing excavator work in the paddock, and Keane had his head stuck in the cab, checking things out. Amazing.
But then again, the vet was out to do the horses' teeth on Keane's birthday and he wasn't as cooperative as I'd hoped. He didn't need any work (Keane will be losing his milk teeth soon, so no need to have them floated), but he does have wolf teeth coming in that will have to come out in the spring when the vet comes back to do their shots. I need to work with Keane so he'll bring his head down and keep it down for minor procedures, like a vet looking into his mouth--or eventually, me putting a bit into it after he gets the wolf teeth out.

Comments
Post a Comment