Thank you for
Thank you for the fantastically perfect weather, thank you, thank you, thank you. 75 degrees and sunny with low humidity is perfect, thanks. The weekend was splendiferous as well. After some hemming and hawing and kicking my toe around in the dirt, as well as some reassurance from Christine (“We don’t have to gallop!”) I finally got over the fear of my fumble fingeredness and ponied my young horse Keane off of my older horse Clover. That is, I led Keane while I rode Clover. At the same time! I have a tendancy to drop things under mundane circumstances, pens, cups, bottles of foundation, so it took me a while to sort out the reins and the lead rope. But after a while I figured it out and Keane settled down and we had a lovely walk in the woods.
Sunday I got up early and watched the Schum’s engine go kablammo, and loafed around for a while before heading over to MRF to scribe for the dressage show I was supposed to be riding in. The truck’s brake lines, which are steel, by the way, were corroded and surprise, surprise, no brakes. So, I went over for my two hour shift at the end of the show, and that’s when all the fun rides are, there were some second through fourth level tests at the end of the day. The weather was also fantastic yesterday, which unfortunately brought out a swarm of hornets from the cupola on top of the judge’s gazebo-like booth at the end of the arena, at the letter C.
The judge told me that the hornets had been dive bombing her and the other scribes as the day got warmer, and now that Michele had tried to spray them out of their ... roost, they were highly agitated. I went to step into the booth and had one fly into the side of my head, so I scooted out again. The judge and I went to work with our address books and organizers, swatting the little bastards whenever they landed and stomping on them as they fell. I know they’re living creatures and I’m truly sorry but those stings hurt like hell. In between rides I’d get up and whack any stray hornets flying around, at any given moment there were between two and six buzzing around us in the booth. How we managed to not get stung between all the spraying and swatting and jumping up and down I’ll never know, but I’m damn grateful, because, did I mention that those things frigging hurt when they sting?
So I celebrated by shaving my horse’s ass. Ha ha. I trace clipped her for the coming cold months. And then I had a really good ride.
Sunday I got up early and watched the Schum’s engine go kablammo, and loafed around for a while before heading over to MRF to scribe for the dressage show I was supposed to be riding in. The truck’s brake lines, which are steel, by the way, were corroded and surprise, surprise, no brakes. So, I went over for my two hour shift at the end of the show, and that’s when all the fun rides are, there were some second through fourth level tests at the end of the day. The weather was also fantastic yesterday, which unfortunately brought out a swarm of hornets from the cupola on top of the judge’s gazebo-like booth at the end of the arena, at the letter C.
The judge told me that the hornets had been dive bombing her and the other scribes as the day got warmer, and now that Michele had tried to spray them out of their ... roost, they were highly agitated. I went to step into the booth and had one fly into the side of my head, so I scooted out again. The judge and I went to work with our address books and organizers, swatting the little bastards whenever they landed and stomping on them as they fell. I know they’re living creatures and I’m truly sorry but those stings hurt like hell. In between rides I’d get up and whack any stray hornets flying around, at any given moment there were between two and six buzzing around us in the booth. How we managed to not get stung between all the spraying and swatting and jumping up and down I’ll never know, but I’m damn grateful, because, did I mention that those things frigging hurt when they sting?
So I celebrated by shaving my horse’s ass. Ha ha. I trace clipped her for the coming cold months. And then I had a really good ride.

Comments
Post a Comment