More goals

Obviously, since I scratched from UNH, I’ve stopped riding as much. Not that I’ve ever really actually gotten into the groove–even when I was getting ready for Kingsbury in August, looking at my calendar I was riding on average maybe 3.5-4 days a week! Let’s look at the old goals from April:

Right now:

  1. Continue lessons at MRF,


  2. Ride Clover whenever Katrina doesn’t



  3. If Katrina is riding Clover, work with Keane


  4. Ground work with Keane.



Middle distance:

  1. Take Clover over again as Katrina gets busier with her own horses


  2. Maybe think about eventing Clover again


  3. Ground work with Keane

  4. Starting Keane under saddle





Ok, so it looks like I’ve met my immediate and mid-range goals, despite my lazy streak. Except starting Keane under saddle, he's still too young for that. I’ve stuck with the weekly lessons at Michele’s–though I need to apply myself in between; I’ve been slacking off lately. I entered and completed Kingsbury, albeit at beginner novice. I’ve been doing more with Keane, but I still question if he’s the horse for me or not. He might be a six day a week horse–he needs a lot of attention, and I have motivation issues. But Tony and I have been handling him, he’s good for the farrier, cross ties well and doesn’t need to be haltered for fly spray, etc. He’ll be two in November, and I’m already thinking about teaching him to ground drive, some light longing with him (walk-trot only, people), and ponying him off of Clover, once I get my nerves and coordination up.

I need to set some new goals because I’ve been set adrift without something to work for; riding for the sake of riding is fine, but I need to get a grip on this strange abstract need to compete that disappears once the entry goes in the mail. I chicken out because I slack off too much, and because I slack off I don’t feel well prepared, so I scratch and miss out on exposure and chances to get over competition nerves. Just get out there and do it. First thing I need to do is find an event instructor that I can jump and school cross country with, just a couple of times a month, because I plan on keeping up with the dressage lessons weekly, and those are already running me into the poor house. I could ride with Janet, but I don’t click with her; I think I’m missing the point or too intimidated or something.

I could also find a sports psychologist and delve into my confidence, perfection, insecurity, motivation, etc. issues. Surviving the winter is always important, I want to find something to keep my hands and feet warm; I have really bad circulation and my appendages start getting cold when the temperature goes below 60F. Not sure how much riding I’ll be doing over the winter, but if I can keep it going once or twice a week or more if possible, legging up in the spring will be that much easier. Legging up? So does that mean I’m going to enter T-School and Wentworth and do UNH spring? Am I going to do UNH Spring and King Oak and move back up to Novice? How about doing a bunch of Novices and school Training? Why does it sound so appealing now, but when it comes down to doing the work, if feels like pulling teeth? And I slack and then I panic the closer the event gets. I need to get out there and get over this mental crap with Clover so I can go out with greenie Keane and focus on him, not me freaking out.

Just do it:

  • Focus


  • Motivate


  • Find an event trainer


  • Find a shrink


  • Ride


  • Stay warm


  • Ride some more


  • Be prepared


  • Enter some events


  • Complete those events





My riding and confidence have improved since March, since I started riding with Michele. There are things I would like to attempt either with Clover or Keane or whatever future horse works out for me, like Area championships, qualifying for if not actually competing at the AEC. So why does it stall when it comes time for me to get off my ass? I need to get into a groove and stay in it.

Comments

Popular Posts