Memo to myself
Kingsbury Hill horse trials this weekend. I've been diligently taking dressage lessons since March, went to a good jumping clinic with eventer Amy Barrington, I've been schooling fairly productively on my own, and I've checked and double checked which dressage test I should be memorizing for Sunday morning's ride. All I need now are my ride times and a measure of self assurance. I've done this before, it's just that it's been four years since I've done it. During that time there were several fairly dramatic life changes and a steady corrosion of self confidence in the saddle. Thankfully, that's come back with a change of trainer and working with my own horse again.
So, the only things I'll really try to keep in mind this week are:
I schooled a two stride last night, after warming up with a ton of flatwork and a figure eight bending exercise over a cross rail to warm up--the one we did both days at the clinic--I only ran through it a few times because we made the two stride easily and I was the only issue, my jumping ahead, that is. That's my biggest concern, jumping ahead, and my fitness.
So, the only things I'll really try to keep in mind this week are:
- Give myself enough time to memorize and focus on the jump courses--Amy said I should trust myself that I can do that, so I will be able to concentrate on riding the course, instead of worrying about finding my way around the course.
- Ride forward. Keep Clover's feet moving underneath her. Stay organized.
- RIDE THE LAST STRIDE. Don't passenger it.
- Don't jump ahead. Good luck with that one.
I schooled a two stride last night, after warming up with a ton of flatwork and a figure eight bending exercise over a cross rail to warm up--the one we did both days at the clinic--I only ran through it a few times because we made the two stride easily and I was the only issue, my jumping ahead, that is. That's my biggest concern, jumping ahead, and my fitness.

Comments
Post a Comment