Last minute tune up

It figures, I go to do some fine tuning the day before the schooling show, and the minute I finish tacking up and step out of the barn to get on and ride, it starts raining steadily. It wasn't too bad, it was warm enough not to bother me, but it did stop by the time I got home (it's since started up again, harder now, hope it lets up for tomorrow).

Once I got Clover warmed up and moving forward, I had a pretty good ride. I threw more canter work in earlier into the warm up period, and it seemed to get things moving along in a more forward fashion. We're definitely at the point now where the lessons and consistency are starting to pay off, and progress is measurable and not just a fluke. Though it seems pretty minute at times. But that's ok, my confidence is coming back, and I feel like I can at least put in some good dressage tests in for that phase of an event.

Once we were warmed up I spent some more time on canter work. To the right, I had an easier time getting Clover rounder, but still had some trouble to the left. It's all getting better, though. Going to the left, because of lingering balance, strength and my own lack of coordination issues, I had problems with breaking into trot, bucking when I used the whip inappropriately, picking up the wrong lead and cross cantering. The good news is that I was able to correct the mistakes fairly quickly and with no fuss and continue cantering on, just like I should be able to in a test. Fix a mistake and leave it behind.

I finished up with some centerlines and halts. I've been having a hard time with loosing rhythm in turns, and drifting on straight lines. I got some improvement, but I still need to work on the final turn up the centerline, make better use of the outside aids. Something.

Comments

Popular Posts