Jumping clinic

With Amy Barrington.

clinicskinny

Flatwork warm up - (hard to hear video, even with the zoom mike there was a lot of wind and ambient noise pick up)
Balance - horizontal; hold their body back, ride them out in front of you (your feet)
Hands forward
Chin up
Outside rein - in canter - slow down inside legs
Outside seatbone center of saddle, lighten inside seatbone - horse can come through inside
Energy in seat
The dressage lessons are really helping us—overall strength, balance, etc.

1st exercise - figure 8 over cross rail: trot over, canter landing, back to trot

This was the hardest exercise of the day. Seemed like it should have been the simplest. Work on getting bend on figure, leads on landing. I felt a lot more disorganized than it looked on the tape, but our biggest sin was not being forward enough.

2nd exercise - canter 4 cavaletti to vertical, alternate turning to left and right after landing, circling back around to reapproach and jump again

Seemed like it should have been more challenging, but it rode like a low bounce gymmnastic and was fun to boot. Need to shorten reins a lot more and have hands low and in front of thighs, so my upper body isn’t all over the place trying to follow the motion and I can “stay in the box” and regulate canter from seat. Don’t jump ahead in this exercise.

Focus on the spot just in front of the first cavaletti to get the turn and straight line through the gymnastic.

Why don’t I bend at the hips?

3rd exercise - related distance 5 stride brick wall to oxer

Trot in to brick wall, canter 5 strides to oxer. Strong canter. Gallop.
Ride last stride! “Ride that 5th stride!”
Ride every single stride
We’re not going as fast as I think we are.

Course - 11 fences
4 Cavaletti/vertical
4 stride shallow broken line to oxer
Right turn sharp rollback to skinny!
5 strides to vertical
Shallower rollback/reverse direction to vertical
5 stride broken line back to vertical skinny
Left turn 90 degrees to two stride combination
Left turn out of combination to vertical
Right turn rollback change of direction to oxer then 4 strides to brick wall (This was the 5 stride brick wall to oxer related distance exercise in reverse. The distance between the fences hadn’t changed, we needed to get the distance in 4.)

I was too worried about getting lost to actually ride to the fences, to ride the course as a whole.

That was our first real skinny! A skinny skinny! A vertical skinny! I still have yellow paint on the side of my boot from where I caught the standard coming up the broken line approach.

Amy: “Get up!!”
“Whack her with the stick!”
(cross cantering to two stride combination, getting ahead of her)
Oops - took last rail down
Go again right away
“Gallop her! Gallop her!”
Shorten reins - make her reach for contact
(cross cantering)
Why do I not bend at the hips??
(rails coming down, we’re getting tired)
Last combination, need to get it in 4, chipping in
Need to let her know I’m serious!
Also need to focus on the fence, not anywhere else.
Finally, there she goes!

She needs to believe I’m committed to each and every stride, and I need to ride each stride like my life depends on it.

Clover was a star all day—never looking at anything, jumping everything I pointed her at, my main problem was not being forward enough, even though it feels like I was. She has more of her own energy, but I can’t let that fool me into thinking she’s going fast enough. I have to gallop around stadium. And trust myself that I know the course and ride her around it, not worry about getting from fence to fence. I’m really glad I signed up for the clinic, already I’ve picked up some pointers and been refreshed on other points and reassured myself by watching the video Tony took today that we can do this. But I definitely should start incorporating some jumping lessons into the regimen. Cross country tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts