The latest forecast

I'm formulating a new plan. I'm not getting anywhere with Mico, I don't have the seat to ride him, and it's completely eroded my self confidence. So here are the new plans:

Right now:
1. Continue lessons at MRF
2. Ride Clover whenever Katrina doesn't, and
3. If Katrina is riding Clover, work with Keane, and
4. Ground work with Keane.

Middle distance:
1. Take Clover over again as Katrina gets busier with her own horses
2. Maybe think about eventing Clover again
3. Backing, and
4. Starting Keane under saddle

Long range:
1. See if Keane is suitable for me
2. If so, great!
3. If not, move him on and find a horse that is. A gelding like Clover, but without the mare issues. I know now that I prefer a solider, more stoic and forgiving horse, and that's ok. I'm not a horrible rider, but I'm not a coordinated person under any circumstances, either.

My ongoing, can't ride anymore, lack of motivation issue has clarified itself on several points. With Mico, I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and I'm not enjoying it. I have ridden him well before, so I keep at it infrequently, thinking it will make me a better rider. Because I don't enjoy the work, I don't ride often, and without consistency there's no improvement. Also, in my mind, I ride him to please Christine, it frees her up to devote her energy to Irish, and I know she doesn't like to leave Mico idle.

Another point of clarity is finance. I spend X amount of dollars each month to keep these two horses, yet for the past year I've gotten little-to-no pleasure from them. I've given Clover to Katrina to ride, and I set myself up for failure with Keane. I know Katrina will be too busy to spend much time with Clover anymore, so I don't think there will be any hurt feelings there if I start riding my horse more (with an eye towards possibly eventing again). They're my horses; I invest so much money in them--why am I not getting any pleasure from them? Why do I have this sense that I shouldn't be riding Clover? Where am I getting this from?

The last piece to fall into place is working with a new instructor. Michele is a trainer in this area who works with Pam Goodrich. She has some school horses and is helping me work out firstly my position and eventually the rest of the package. The whole dressage shebang. Dressage being the French word for training and all that, not dressage the sport itself. It was good for me to get off Mico and on to some neutral ground so to speak, though eventually I plan on trucking Clover and maybe even Mico in for lessons.

Right now though, I'm just going to see how this all shakes out, no stress or pressure or time committments.

Comments

Popular Posts