Raging boy hormones
Worked with Keane last night, continuing last week's ground work that Tony and I started to do with more consistency (four times in one week! A record!) Walking, staying out of my space, no nipping, halt, turn, stop, stand still, sack out with coat, etc. We didn't get a chance to work on trailer loading, it was a bit icy. Turns out I can do this. And I do like it.
I can't be afraid or worried about screwing him up or slack off anymore--he's a yearling with raging hormones, and he needs ground work now. Christine has gently mentioned a couple of times that Keane has been craving a little more attention, but a couple of days ago the gate post and gate were mysteriously and badly broken, and I know my rambunctious stud colt was involved. I feel so bad. I know busted up fencing is part and parcel of farming, but I know I'm responsible. The increased attention and his upcoming gelding on Friday should take the edge off of his newfound ... err ... energy.
I've been paralyzed by this self imposed decision that I no longer know how to ride or handle horses, so therefore I have no business being around horses, but I'm just fucking up things even more. Benign neglect.
Tony has been helping and encouraging me a lot, even when I talk about selling the horses and getting out of riding. But I always come back to wanting to stay with it. I was a lot more optimistic about myself and my abilities last year when I bought Keane, but now that he's here I'm going to see it through and honor my commitment and start working with him religiously--even if that means I work with him instead of riding an older horse--and seeing it through until he is backed. If I'm too stiff to be tactful enough to ride him, we can explore options then.
I can't be afraid or worried about screwing him up or slack off anymore--he's a yearling with raging hormones, and he needs ground work now. Christine has gently mentioned a couple of times that Keane has been craving a little more attention, but a couple of days ago the gate post and gate were mysteriously and badly broken, and I know my rambunctious stud colt was involved. I feel so bad. I know busted up fencing is part and parcel of farming, but I know I'm responsible. The increased attention and his upcoming gelding on Friday should take the edge off of his newfound ... err ... energy.
I've been paralyzed by this self imposed decision that I no longer know how to ride or handle horses, so therefore I have no business being around horses, but I'm just fucking up things even more. Benign neglect.
Tony has been helping and encouraging me a lot, even when I talk about selling the horses and getting out of riding. But I always come back to wanting to stay with it. I was a lot more optimistic about myself and my abilities last year when I bought Keane, but now that he's here I'm going to see it through and honor my commitment and start working with him religiously--even if that means I work with him instead of riding an older horse--and seeing it through until he is backed. If I'm too stiff to be tactful enough to ride him, we can explore options then.

Comments
Post a Comment