We picked up

We picked up a corner entertainment unit from Corey and Erica last night. They’ve nearly completely redone their house, by themselves, and it does look great. In the process they gradually bought new furniture, and thus we inherited the unit. I’m psyched because I’ve been wanting one with cabinet style doors, to hide away the ugliness of the tv and its attendant electronic bits. We got it into the house via the back door, and some heaving and ho-ing.

After getting the thing into place, and once Tony performed his task of self-confessed geek enjoyment hooking up of the varied entertainment devices to each other and the tv and the sound system, I commenced to once again staying up way too late. I’ve gotten into this terrible habit of coming home from work or riding or whatever activity outside of the living room and surfing the channels while simultaneously surfing the web. I have an internet problem, I’m on it all day at work (hey our public catalog is web based, ok?), and if I’m in the above mentioned living room, I’m sitting pretty with my laptop. Even if I feel like I’ve gotten to the end of the internet, I will sit there and stare at my bookmarks until I’m inspired to look up some minutiae of interest or start over obsessively surfing the F1 sites so I can keep up with practically every bowel movement the drivers make.

It has wreaked havoc on my attention span, I get very restless when I have to focus on anything more than 5 minutes, unless I’m riding--only then am I completely and happily absorbed with what I’m doing, and even then I go on autopilot, but that’s actually a separate riding issue not related to short attention span. I can’t read and listen to music at the same time, I can’t watch tv and surf the internet at the same time, I tune out music when I ride so no musical freestyle for me. I’ve ruined my attention span by trying to split it over several media at one time.

Instead of calling it ADD or ADHD or restless leg syndrome (kidding!) and hitting up the doctor for drugs, I call it a stupid habit and strive to cut down on the need to be looking at the internet, only watch tv when I watch tv (mainly movies, documentaries and motorsports), read more and of course keep up the 5 day a week riding schedule I started this month. How about that?

Comments

Popular Posts