Mrs. Nice Guy

After an off day on Friday, a rained out Saturday and a hack on Mico (Katrina took Clover) Sunday, it was nice to get back into the indoor and attempt to work out some of my issues. I decided to focus on giving up the inside rein and try to be more elastic on the outside rein, even if it meant losing contact altogether and risk an unsteady Clover in the bridle.

Christine left her stirrups at the barn, so I was a nice guy and lend her mine. I figured she needed them more than me after having recuperated most of the summer with a broken leg. Plus I can always stand to have a go stirrupless to check my balance and strength.

It actually turned out pretty well. I warmed up and tried to get the posting trot and canter transitions out of the way early in the ride, so I could work more on walk/trot/halt/etc. transitions and some bending lines to get Clover off the inside rein and stop me from hanging on it. I did quite a bit of shoulder fore at the walk, as well as some leg yielding on the circle. It was a bit of a trick getting myself coordinated, sitting and weighting the proper seatbone and trying not to wrench the rest of myself out of place, but once I did I could feel the exercise start to supple up Clover. I could even make the distinction between my bad riding versus Clover being a bit unwilling to use her left hind. So, it isn't all me all the time! Even still, I did get some good results going to the left, too.

The miracle saddle continues to help me relax into position, even stirrupless I was able to sit well and do some pretty good work. We have our first lesson in ages coming up this weekend, and I don't want to be struggling with the same old shit. More bend! Get Clover off of the inside rein and remember to give! Basic, basic crap I have been struggling with for years. Now I finally feel like I'm beginning to address issues instead of riding around them and maintaining the status quo of false contact and a back that doesn't swing.

Comments

Popular Posts