Hold my hand



Took Mico and Irish to the dressage warm up. I have a hard time getting on other people's horses; I'm insecure about riding, and riding a new horse reveals all my shortcomings as a rider. But I also think that if I can get on another horse and eventually ride it well and improve my seat, it will be worth the discomfort of stretching beyond my comfort zone.

I have been anxious about riding lately, not so much the events, but the schooling and lessons. I haven't developed the ability to focus and ride every stride, to be quick to anticipate and correct--to just listen to the horse and interpret how it responds to my aids.

As long as I'm quiet and relaxed, Irish goes well. In that respect, he is easier to ride than Mico, but he also gets bored quickly and needs constant changes of rein and gait. At this point, I feel like all I can manage are 20 meter circles and 15 meter changes of rein or across the diagonal--just playing it safe. Christine gave me some help from the ground, which always helps. I'm realizing I need some hand-holding until I get my wits about me and can think faster in the saddle.



Mico was a bit more difficult and I had a hard time keeping him from running through the half-halts. I was getting frustrated, so then Katrina came over and held my hand even more. Once Mico and I gave into each other, we had a good warm up ride at all three gaits, even the canter came together again a little more.

Comments

Popular Posts