A lot hotter
It suddenly became a lot hotter than it originally seemed once Katrina and I got the horses off the trailer and started grooming. We kept the session to mostly walk/trot work; it didn't take long for the sweat to start pouring off of horse and human alike. My body was cooperating and I "got" Mico early in the ride, meaning listening and more or less on the aids. I was having a good seat day, and Mico was having an "oh shit there's something in the trees" kind of day. Not to worry, I'm learning how to keep him--and me--focused, instead of futilely fighting him.
I don't know why it surprised me that when he was being resistant, I put him into a leg yield at the walk, and suddenly the last few steps he quit fussing and started stepping over. It was surprising, but I was thrilled that it worked! I tried to be mindful of trying not to pitch forward, like the last batch of pictures show me doing, but keep my upper body upright. And keep my head up, my thumbs up and wrists straight, and my lower legs underneath me. I don't have a lot of a-ha moments so much as I just am gradually evolving as a rider and generally understanding Mico more and more. Really gradually. Incrementally. But, it's progress and it's happening.
We'd gone to the tack shop earlier, and I tried out the wintec webbers I decided to buy after having ridden in the ones on Christine's saddle. I had no idea how bulky regular stirrup leathers are under the leg until I tried these. Made a huge difference in feel. Good buy. I also bought some nice saddle pads that were on consignment, as well as a new dressage coat with brass buttons. Supposedly my AP Crosby was on the verge of being sold, so I splurged a bit. Christine surprised me by giving me a thank you card and cool max shirt for cross country for helping out while she was recuperating from her injury.
It wasn't hard to convince Katrina to take my spot at next weekend's Kingsbury; now I have to keep trying to get in touch with the organizer to make the change. We'll see if my addled brain can remember that before next week gets too old.
I don't know why it surprised me that when he was being resistant, I put him into a leg yield at the walk, and suddenly the last few steps he quit fussing and started stepping over. It was surprising, but I was thrilled that it worked! I tried to be mindful of trying not to pitch forward, like the last batch of pictures show me doing, but keep my upper body upright. And keep my head up, my thumbs up and wrists straight, and my lower legs underneath me. I don't have a lot of a-ha moments so much as I just am gradually evolving as a rider and generally understanding Mico more and more. Really gradually. Incrementally. But, it's progress and it's happening.
We'd gone to the tack shop earlier, and I tried out the wintec webbers I decided to buy after having ridden in the ones on Christine's saddle. I had no idea how bulky regular stirrup leathers are under the leg until I tried these. Made a huge difference in feel. Good buy. I also bought some nice saddle pads that were on consignment, as well as a new dressage coat with brass buttons. Supposedly my AP Crosby was on the verge of being sold, so I splurged a bit. Christine surprised me by giving me a thank you card and cool max shirt for cross country for helping out while she was recuperating from her injury.
It wasn't hard to convince Katrina to take my spot at next weekend's Kingsbury; now I have to keep trying to get in touch with the organizer to make the change. We'll see if my addled brain can remember that before next week gets too old.

Comments
Post a Comment