Flummoxed

We rode at the indoor last night, a thunderstorm hit us as we were pulling into the lot across the street from the outdoor rings.

There wasn't much different this ride from last night's ride. Mico and I start out stuck, he can't bend because I'm stiff, I won't work in a faster gait until I feel like I've got him (meaning coming through with less resistance). When we go into trot, every step feels like his head wags or he's rein lame. I try to correct by kicking him forward, but it doesn't improve the situation. I ride more forward, he falls on his forehand; I try to rebalance with a half-halt and he braces his jaw and loses impulsion. Unless someone is coaching me every stride, it doesn't go well. I had one good half-halt go through last night, the rest was tug-and-pull, which is counterproductive. Bending lines flummoxed me.

The canter work continues to deteriorate. I could not get one correct depart to the left, I wound up running him into it each time. Once he was there, the left canter was more round than to the right, where he was above the bridle, no doubt as a result of my own stiffness. Once in a while I can feel my seat following at the canter. Maybe the saddle has come to the end of its comfort for Mico and I have to go back to the Stubben. We have a jumping lesson tonight, so I will have to see if the canter improves, if not, I know it is me, not the saddle.

I continue to worry that my stiffness causes Mico to be rein lame, and I wonder if it will lead to true soreness. He seemed off in the left hind. Christine has assured me time and again that there is no way I will hurt him, but I know better. Last night and the night before he had at least one significant stumble in front, did one of those sting him? Does he have a stone bruise, brewing an abscess? So many things can go wrong, and so many ways to misread the ailment.

Sitting in the correct part of the saddle still baffles me, I can sit well at the walk, but even a slow trot causes me to slip forward and pinch the pommel. I just don't get it. Katrina confirmed for me that she also has to run a continuous internal dialog with her body parts, that this will improve and the correctness will linger longer as the need to remind your body how to be and what to do will gradually lessen. Easy for her to say, I see how well my mare is going now and how responsive she is, and I know that I hamper my own success with sheer inability.

I get so discouraged and have a hard time seeing any improvement.

Comments

Popular Posts