Keane torture

Keane finally got his winter coat clipped off on Monday. The weather seems like it will stay mild enough that I can do it and worry about him getting wet and chilled in the ran, athough he does go into the large stall with Clover (she even shares her hay with him!) He was very good! Christine held Keane for me as I clipped his coat off with the A5s that had the wide blades on. When I switched sides, I tried the Clipmasters, but they were too overwhelming, so I finished the job with the A5s. He looks like he's been groomed with a cheese grater, but at least the coat is gone and he'll be more comfortable as the weather gets warmer.

Katrina's farrier was able to fit our horses into the schedule, we needed them done sooner than the date my regular farrier had us scheduled for. Keane had his first (or second, I think Jaeme's farrier may have dusted off his fronts) farrier visit! He was literally a handful, trying to plunge about, but the farrier was able to rasp every hoof. Everyone assured me that Keane was actually very good, in the scheme of things. I'm glad I got him done sooner rather than later, while he's still young and impressionable. Christine mentioned that it took Irish a couple of years before he got consistently quiet for the farrier. She made things go a lot more smoothly by handling Keane's legs when she feeds.

I think that was enough torture for Keane for one week.

Comments

Popular Posts