Keane update
[email] Danny and Keane have been going out with ‘the big kids’ [long yearlings] for about a week now. Keane ADORES it, and I’m pretty sure Danny is *relieved*. Lol!! He is so BUSY. He just loves having his brother, sisters and cousin to play with. Smart, smart, smart. I am *not* just saying this, but I have never seen a baby with such self-awareness and confidence. He’s not aggressively confident, but has a sense of who he is and where he fits into the world around him that is just astounding. Still not one shy stage.
Going to try to get some pics tomorrow…today was too snowy and I kept getting fog on the lens. Like Irish, he is not going through any awkward growth stages–still looks pretty stunning. Makes the long-yearling hooligans look like yaks by comparison… ;-p
They’re out in increasing ‘weather’…were out in the sneet and frizzle for about 5 hours on Friday, and out in the falling snow all day today. He seems to be keeping up fine–never too tired or cold…I keep an eye on it. In another few weeks they’ll start staying out overnight when the weather is mild. (above 20 and not windy or falling weather). By the end of February we get that weather more than you realize. Yes, we still get blizzards in April, but we get some nice milder weather too. He’s really, really thriving, you’d never know he was a winter baby.
As big and confident as he is, I suspect I’ll start night weaning (stalled next to each other) or day weaning (out with his siblings, but Mum on the other side of the fence) in March. It’s hard with spring weather…I don’t like stressing their immune systems–they’re at the most vulnerable at weaning…but he is eating wonderfully, and will end up getting *more* nutrition when he’s off her for at least one of their two grain meals.
Just wanted to update you. Will try to grab some pics tomorrow.
J
Going to try to get some pics tomorrow…today was too snowy and I kept getting fog on the lens. Like Irish, he is not going through any awkward growth stages–still looks pretty stunning. Makes the long-yearling hooligans look like yaks by comparison… ;-p
They’re out in increasing ‘weather’…were out in the sneet and frizzle for about 5 hours on Friday, and out in the falling snow all day today. He seems to be keeping up fine–never too tired or cold…I keep an eye on it. In another few weeks they’ll start staying out overnight when the weather is mild. (above 20 and not windy or falling weather). By the end of February we get that weather more than you realize. Yes, we still get blizzards in April, but we get some nice milder weather too. He’s really, really thriving, you’d never know he was a winter baby.
As big and confident as he is, I suspect I’ll start night weaning (stalled next to each other) or day weaning (out with his siblings, but Mum on the other side of the fence) in March. It’s hard with spring weather…I don’t like stressing their immune systems–they’re at the most vulnerable at weaning…but he is eating wonderfully, and will end up getting *more* nutrition when he’s off her for at least one of their two grain meals.
Just wanted to update you. Will try to grab some pics tomorrow.
J

Comments
Post a Comment