Cross country schooling at UNH

With Christine and Irish. Unfortunately, the completely rebuilt water complex was off limits. Still, they keep the course fresh year after year by redesigning/moving/adding fences. I haven't been doing much flatwork at all lately, so I lowered my expectations for Mico and spent some time warming up by getting him to listen! and bend!

He seemed to have some more confidence this time, we started over some very small logs and hay bales, and worked our way up to the small stone wall. Mico was a little looky, and we got some hang time, but he didn't refuse anything and I did my best to keep my ass velcroed to the saddle. On a small horse like Mico, you don't want to get forward, ever.

Now all I need to do is ride some more gymnastic lines to get my release right once and for all, and get my knuckles planted on the horse's neck. I definitely noticed my floating hands, and having to throw the reins out to keep from catching Mico's mouth when he overjumped.

We schooled the Novice ditch, which again he looked at before leaping. We schooled it on both sides, and though he looked quick at the last moment, he'd gather himself and leap across it without his usual bascule. He did overjump some of the other fences, like the stone wall and the telephone pole oxer, but Christine said he was great to watch because he snaps his knees up and really has a back-cracking arc in his bascule.

We went up and down the training steps, and also up the Novice bank, and a corn stalk decorated hay bale stack with a pole across the top at the top of a slight rise, which we also did in combination with the telephone oxer. Despite Mico's reluctance to do flatwork, and our issues at the canter, he really is tons of fun on trails and jumping cross country. Hooray for small horses!

By the way, Tony and Clover had also come with us, and clearly Clover was happy to be toting Tony around in their new western saddle. She looked so happy and content, I know that this is the right career move for her. Tony was beaming as he cantered down the lane to catch up with us. Even though he started riding to spend more time with me, I think he's finding out how much fun riding really is when you get out of the ring and get a little nutty.

Comments

Popular Posts