Clover goes western
Tony went out and bought himself a new western bridle, reins and a tom thumb bit that matches his new saddle–all on his own!
I wanted to ride Clover in the bit first, to see how she’d respond to it. Even with relaxed reins, she reacted well, even Tony noticed how much more control he had with his light touch on the reins.
All the crazy galloping around in the woods has paid off, Tony trotted around on a 20 meter circle and did changes of rein through the circle effortlessly. His seat looks solid and secure, and he seems happy and comfortable in the western saddle. I sat in it when I was testing the new bit on Clover, and it’s way too big for me–so it is definitely Tony’s and Clover’s saddle! I realized that I’d never be buying a jump saddle for her ever again–no more saddles for me until her future foal is grown and ready for breaking. The adjustable Wintec will have to do if I decide to give her a tune-up ride.
Clover is very content toting Tony around; she was made for western trail and pleasure riding. Christine and I have both noticed how much happier she is out on the trails, and under saddle in general, with Tony astride. Even on the ground she responds to his gentle touch with interest–knowing of course there’s a treat on the way!
I don’t know if I’m happier that my husband has tried and now loves riding, or my horse has a new purpose in life and it seems to suit her so well. I’ll be continuing with Mico, like I’ve said before he’ll be my eventing project for next season.
I wanted to ride Clover in the bit first, to see how she’d respond to it. Even with relaxed reins, she reacted well, even Tony noticed how much more control he had with his light touch on the reins.
All the crazy galloping around in the woods has paid off, Tony trotted around on a 20 meter circle and did changes of rein through the circle effortlessly. His seat looks solid and secure, and he seems happy and comfortable in the western saddle. I sat in it when I was testing the new bit on Clover, and it’s way too big for me–so it is definitely Tony’s and Clover’s saddle! I realized that I’d never be buying a jump saddle for her ever again–no more saddles for me until her future foal is grown and ready for breaking. The adjustable Wintec will have to do if I decide to give her a tune-up ride.
Clover is very content toting Tony around; she was made for western trail and pleasure riding. Christine and I have both noticed how much happier she is out on the trails, and under saddle in general, with Tony astride. Even on the ground she responds to his gentle touch with interest–knowing of course there’s a treat on the way!
I don’t know if I’m happier that my husband has tried and now loves riding, or my horse has a new purpose in life and it seems to suit her so well. I’ll be continuing with Mico, like I’ve said before he’ll be my eventing project for next season.

Comments
Post a Comment