Schooling with the Barrington/Strafford rough riders

With the rest of the triumvirate of married (recently, reconciled, and otherwise) lady riders. Rode Mico again, now I feel like I do have more of a handle on riding him, got him figured out a little better and was able to actually ride some school figures and concentrate on transitions a little more.

Katrina is doing wonderfully on Clover, though she admits that Clover does take a lot of reinforcing forward aids to keep her moving along. She can see why my seat is so tight after years of riding Clover. But riding Mico is doing wonders for me, I can sit, relax and maintain the rhythm—and I'm getting better at sensing when I've raised my center of gravity. I have to remember to breathe, too.

As promised, I did work on up transitions to the canter, from both the walk and trot. At first I would barely think canter and give a hint of the aids, at which point Mico would speed up and try to invert his frame. I'd keep him at the walk or trot until he settled, then tried again. Eventually I did get the canter on both leads, the left was better than the right lead, which I had to chase him into a little bit. But it's a start, and when we get there I'll see where it goes—definitely a lesson with Janet, and most likely some late season events.

I have to mention, as much as it puts me into more of a chair seat than ever, I love riding in the Stubben Sigfried. Every Sigfried I've ridden in I've loved. I'm not sure if this is the VSD (dressage style) or the VSS (jumping style, but it's old and flat and lacks the puffery and poor constuction marring the newer models. Back in those days, the saddles were made to fit a variety of horses reasonable well, and they still do.

We're going up to Jaeme's in a couple of weekends to view the stallion, who is Irish's sire. I've been talking with Tony about breeding Clover and he seems pretty supportive. He knows I'll be realistic with regard to time and money spent having a second horse.

Comments

Popular Posts