Conditioning hack
We seem to be forming an event team of sorts, me on Mico, Katrina on Clover, and of course Christine on the irrepressible Irish.
As we wandered down to the lake, we met the Lipizzan lady finally, who mentioned forming an equine neighborhood watch of sorts … knowing who's horses are who's in case of break outs and roamers.
She also asked what we “did,” meaning with our horses, and said she figured we were eventers. She went on to disparage “event dressage”, but gave some backhanded praise to the new eventing format which has weighed the dressage and showjumping phases more equally with cross country. She didn't realize that she was talking to three of the new breed of eventers. We were fortunate enough to receive our instruction during the early stages of this brave new era, where it's no longer enough to be a “crazy eventer,” but finishing on your excellent dressage score is the only way to excel.
Feh.
Took Mico on my first extended gallop with him; after the first initial burst of energy I had to urge him on to keep Irish in sight. Clover naturally brought up the rear, which seemed to suit Katrina just fine. They got along wonderfully, so much so that Katrina will take Clover to some local three phases coming up. If I can get Mico's canter going I may also campaign him as the season winds down … we'll see. I may take Clover to the Applehurst three phase to see if I can get through most of the course this time; I doubt we'll make it over that damned ditch that's more like a coffin, but we'll see.
As we wandered down to the lake, we met the Lipizzan lady finally, who mentioned forming an equine neighborhood watch of sorts … knowing who's horses are who's in case of break outs and roamers.
She also asked what we “did,” meaning with our horses, and said she figured we were eventers. She went on to disparage “event dressage”, but gave some backhanded praise to the new eventing format which has weighed the dressage and showjumping phases more equally with cross country. She didn't realize that she was talking to three of the new breed of eventers. We were fortunate enough to receive our instruction during the early stages of this brave new era, where it's no longer enough to be a “crazy eventer,” but finishing on your excellent dressage score is the only way to excel.
Feh.
Took Mico on my first extended gallop with him; after the first initial burst of energy I had to urge him on to keep Irish in sight. Clover naturally brought up the rear, which seemed to suit Katrina just fine. They got along wonderfully, so much so that Katrina will take Clover to some local three phases coming up. If I can get Mico's canter going I may also campaign him as the season winds down … we'll see. I may take Clover to the Applehurst three phase to see if I can get through most of the course this time; I doubt we'll make it over that damned ditch that's more like a coffin, but we'll see.

Comments
Post a Comment