It's eh, but at least it’s riding
I have a few minutes to kill before I go to the barn, might as well ruminate on this week's rides.
Last night the indoor was a wee bit on the busy side, which of course is the perfect opportunity to practice riding with focus and keeping my eyes up. I go into and out of that habit, which is fairly common among novice dressage and combined training riders. It's very tempting to look down at your horse's head and neck to see if it looks “right,” but the truth is, you have to ride from behind. The horse's head “set” may look good, but if it's ass end is out in Africa then it's no good.
Clover didn't feel as good last night as she did when I finally got her going Monday night. Not sure if it's just stiffness from the cold, or a muscle tweak from an unseen slip while playing in the paddock or, or, or what. So, until one of her legs falls off (kidding! Don't get all PETA on me, now!), I'll keep riding it carefully on the probable chance that she's still developing the strength and flexibility to carry herself.
On Monday night, once we got warmed up and I stopped dinking around and finally put my seatbones into the saddle, Clover lightened up and I got some decent trot/canter work out of her on a 20 meter circle. It's not easy for me to get everything just right for figures and transitions, but when I can, it's great, Clover carries herself and I can sit and make small adjustments (oh, I guess we can call ‘em half-halts), rather than huff and push and shove Clover along.
I'm still getting used to the new dressage saddle, but at least I'm not having to fight to keep my leg underneath me—actually, I'm having to relax the inside of my calf and drop my heel down, I've been subsconsciously drawing my legs up to nag Clover forward again.
We've got a lesson scheduled for the 15th, I'm looking forward to getting some guidance and feedback. I'm starting to make some tentative plans for the season, there are a lot of new schooling shows in the area, which would be a good inexpensive, local, low key way to work out my competition nerves.
Last night the indoor was a wee bit on the busy side, which of course is the perfect opportunity to practice riding with focus and keeping my eyes up. I go into and out of that habit, which is fairly common among novice dressage and combined training riders. It's very tempting to look down at your horse's head and neck to see if it looks “right,” but the truth is, you have to ride from behind. The horse's head “set” may look good, but if it's ass end is out in Africa then it's no good.
Clover didn't feel as good last night as she did when I finally got her going Monday night. Not sure if it's just stiffness from the cold, or a muscle tweak from an unseen slip while playing in the paddock or, or, or what. So, until one of her legs falls off (kidding! Don't get all PETA on me, now!), I'll keep riding it carefully on the probable chance that she's still developing the strength and flexibility to carry herself.
On Monday night, once we got warmed up and I stopped dinking around and finally put my seatbones into the saddle, Clover lightened up and I got some decent trot/canter work out of her on a 20 meter circle. It's not easy for me to get everything just right for figures and transitions, but when I can, it's great, Clover carries herself and I can sit and make small adjustments (oh, I guess we can call ‘em half-halts), rather than huff and push and shove Clover along.
I'm still getting used to the new dressage saddle, but at least I'm not having to fight to keep my leg underneath me—actually, I'm having to relax the inside of my calf and drop my heel down, I've been subsconsciously drawing my legs up to nag Clover forward again.
We've got a lesson scheduled for the 15th, I'm looking forward to getting some guidance and feedback. I'm starting to make some tentative plans for the season, there are a lot of new schooling shows in the area, which would be a good inexpensive, local, low key way to work out my competition nerves.

Comments
Post a Comment