Last ride of the year

Went to the indoor this morning, finally getting motivated again to get back into riding shape. I rode with the frame of mind that we have a lot of work to do, and a lot of fitness to regain in order to do the work more easily and better.

Considering I really haven't done much since last summer, today's ride wasn't as bad as it could have been. Clover was predictably heavy and lugging along on the forehand, but she was fairly responsive to leg. If I can remember to apply half halts judiciously, I think that would help with every aspect of riding, especially getting Clover to transfer more weight to her hindquarters.

We just did walking and trotting today, lots of up and down transitions, halts, some shoulder-fore and leg yields at the walk. It wasn't until I shortened the reins and asked her to carry herself more that she got a little bitchy with the left hind. I pressed the whip on the left, and she responded with a series of small crow hops before quitting. It's more of a fitness issue now, rather than attitude.

Next ride, more turns on the forehand/haunches, I want to get the aids clear, Clover to give in and not back up, and get her even quicker off the leg.

Even though we're at square one again, the training has carried over and I'm feeling hopeful, knowing what Clover is and who I am and not having wild expectations makes diving back in less daunting.

New Year's Resolution: use more half-halts.

Comments

Popular Posts