Finally, some real riding
Trucked over to the indoor, first “real” riding in a long time. Considering how out of shape we both are, it was a really satisfying ride. The footing is great there–sand and shredded rubber, not too deep–so Clover was fairly forward, moving freely.
Still, there was heaviness in the left side; that weaker left hind, and some general heaviness/unsteadiness in the bridle. But the basics are still there, with the mirrors it was easy to ride straight and even produce a few steps of leg yield.
Feeling confident, I even slid Clover into the canter a couple of times–I don’t think she knew what hit her–she carried herself and didn’t lug around on the forehand.
After, I wound up helping this guy back his 3 year old mare. She wouldn’t stand for mounting, so I offered to grab her head–turns out he was backing her for the first time (or one of the first times, at least), so I was the ground person while he leaned on her and eventually got on and walked around a bit.
It was an interesting impromptu session. The mare had already taken him waterskiing around the arena when he longed her, she seemed like a bit of a pig. I jumped in because I hate seeing preventable accidents.
I said, “You gotta get yourself a breaking buddy,” breaking horses to saddle can be dicey, but this guy’s been doing it alone (he has 3 of ‘em he apparently started on his own).
“Yeah,” he said, “I don’t have any guy friends who ride, and girls … ” He trailed off, as if he’d had some unpleasantness with horse girls in the past.
“Girls are what?” I asked, daring him to spill it. His reputation preceeded him.
“Uhhh … ”
Feh.
Still, there was heaviness in the left side; that weaker left hind, and some general heaviness/unsteadiness in the bridle. But the basics are still there, with the mirrors it was easy to ride straight and even produce a few steps of leg yield.
Feeling confident, I even slid Clover into the canter a couple of times–I don’t think she knew what hit her–she carried herself and didn’t lug around on the forehand.
After, I wound up helping this guy back his 3 year old mare. She wouldn’t stand for mounting, so I offered to grab her head–turns out he was backing her for the first time (or one of the first times, at least), so I was the ground person while he leaned on her and eventually got on and walked around a bit.
It was an interesting impromptu session. The mare had already taken him waterskiing around the arena when he longed her, she seemed like a bit of a pig. I jumped in because I hate seeing preventable accidents.
I said, “You gotta get yourself a breaking buddy,” breaking horses to saddle can be dicey, but this guy’s been doing it alone (he has 3 of ‘em he apparently started on his own).
“Yeah,” he said, “I don’t have any guy friends who ride, and girls … ” He trailed off, as if he’d had some unpleasantness with horse girls in the past.
“Girls are what?” I asked, daring him to spill it. His reputation preceeded him.
“Uhhh … ”
Feh.

Comments
Post a Comment