And it's balance seat, after all
Went down to Pelham Saddlery last weekend to put the County up for sale on consignment. I had brought the Crump, but didn’t even bring it into the shop, they’re quite selective about what used saddles they’ll take. I didn’t think they’d take the County, because it’s brown, not black.
Sheesh. Wrong color, of all things. I said, “Just tell those DQs that brown is the new black!”
If it does sell, at least now I know what kind of dressage saddle I like, as well as what fits Clover–flatter seat, none of those fat-assed rolls or thigh blocks or whatever, more forward flap so my knee doesn’t hang out over the flap … brown (yes, I actually prefer brown tack).
But it’s there, and hopefully will sell to a less discriminating dressage enthusiast. I didn’t actually buy anything there, they’re too pricey for my wallet. We hopped on over to State Line, and I got just about everything I’d been needing to show hunt seat: a plain cavesson, white fitted saddle pad, fillis irons, even an inexpensive navy pinstripe hunt coat, so I don’t look so much like an eventer reject when I go in the show ring again. I got everything except a short sleeved ratcatcher, but I can get that at Double G next week.
The open show we tried to go to a few weekends ago got rained out, but there is another one or two next month, just flat classes, just to dip my toe back into the show ring and see how it goes after 20 years
I’ve also come to the conclusion after toying with western and hunt seat earlier this year that I prefer riding “on the aids,” “from behind,” “dressage,” “centered riding,” whatever you want to call it. Balance seat. It may not fly in an English Pleasure class, but it’s what I am comfortable with, riding in balance over the horse’s center of gravity. Makes sense.
Sheesh. Wrong color, of all things. I said, “Just tell those DQs that brown is the new black!”
If it does sell, at least now I know what kind of dressage saddle I like, as well as what fits Clover–flatter seat, none of those fat-assed rolls or thigh blocks or whatever, more forward flap so my knee doesn’t hang out over the flap … brown (yes, I actually prefer brown tack).
But it’s there, and hopefully will sell to a less discriminating dressage enthusiast. I didn’t actually buy anything there, they’re too pricey for my wallet. We hopped on over to State Line, and I got just about everything I’d been needing to show hunt seat: a plain cavesson, white fitted saddle pad, fillis irons, even an inexpensive navy pinstripe hunt coat, so I don’t look so much like an eventer reject when I go in the show ring again. I got everything except a short sleeved ratcatcher, but I can get that at Double G next week.
The open show we tried to go to a few weekends ago got rained out, but there is another one or two next month, just flat classes, just to dip my toe back into the show ring and see how it goes after 20 years
I’ve also come to the conclusion after toying with western and hunt seat earlier this year that I prefer riding “on the aids,” “from behind,” “dressage,” “centered riding,” whatever you want to call it. Balance seat. It may not fly in an English Pleasure class, but it’s what I am comfortable with, riding in balance over the horse’s center of gravity. Makes sense.

Comments
Post a Comment