Edematous
Three of Clover's legs have been swollen, since at least this past Saturday. At first I thought it was the vitamin e/selenium supplement and/or corn oil I'd started her on, in hopes of warding off EPSM (not like she has any symptoms or predisposition towards it), but ruled that out when two other horses at the farm also got stocked up. Maybe it's a virus of some sort? A weed? But there's no temp or anything indicative of illness, or any new and unusual weeds in their paddocks.
It's truly a mystery ailment, usually horses only get stocked up when they're stall-bound. She's not lame, or ill, nor is there heat in her legs, but it's one of the worst cases I've seen. I tried sweating the legs, cold hosing, liniment, everything. No result, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and wait for the tincture of time to work. They did look a little better last night.
I longed her yesterday for 15 minutes at the walk and trot—that was the only thing that made an improvement in her condition, moving around. She looked good, moving well forward and even stretching out over her topline. I'll just ride her like usual tonight, see how things look feel. In the absence of other symptoms, I'm not going to worry about it any more than I usually do.
It's truly a mystery ailment, usually horses only get stocked up when they're stall-bound. She's not lame, or ill, nor is there heat in her legs, but it's one of the worst cases I've seen. I tried sweating the legs, cold hosing, liniment, everything. No result, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and wait for the tincture of time to work. They did look a little better last night.
I longed her yesterday for 15 minutes at the walk and trot—that was the only thing that made an improvement in her condition, moving around. She looked good, moving well forward and even stretching out over her topline. I'll just ride her like usual tonight, see how things look feel. In the absence of other symptoms, I'm not going to worry about it any more than I usually do.

Comments
Post a Comment