And I use the term ‘dressage’ loosely

Ok, back at it again after a crap week. Rode last Thursday, after 5 days off, got what I expected. Slightly better Saturday, though very heavy in the left rein, trouble keeping shoulders in the right place (i.e. not shoved to the left). Much, much better today—and I rode more mindfully to boot! Amazing what results even the littlest bit of consistency will produce.

Worked—have been working—mostly at the walk and trot, just trying to keep Clover straight—left hind and shoulder. Rode shoulder fore tracking left, slight counterbend tracking right. I hope that's the right thing. My internal monologue gets better, instead of white noise, I'm getting messages, like: “do something here” when we get stuck (something being a 1/2 halt or vibrate the rein or whatnot), or “put more weight in the left seatbone,” or “rotate your torso more” when I'm attempting a leg yield, and even: “make her go more forward” when I get stuck and lost. When in doubt, go forward, right?

So, does that mean I'm concentrating better?
Shoulder-fore, counterbend, leg-yield, 20m circles at A,E,C,B—both directions of the ring (internal monologue: “more bend” “use more outside rein”—see, it's working!), even attempted some trot-canter transitions. The canter is better! Not 100%, but improved enough to give me hope. Clover's not built for a comfortable canter, but by God we're improving it.
Which makes me think—so what about the western training I wanted to do? I'm not ready to give up dressage. “Dressage,” what a loaded word. I truly believe that riding to gymnasticize—on contact, from behind, the circle of aids, riding the bones, all that—-it's right. It's become even more meaningful not that I'm not on a training for events timetable. Suddenly the universe has opened up, and I can work at my own pace.

Comments
Post a Comment