Scribing at UNH dressage

The best way to figure out how to ride dressage tests is to volunteer as a scribe, as much as possible. I haven't scribed (for real) since the UNH summer dressage show 4 or 5 years ago. I'm happy to say that I survived scribing in pen (used to be you scribed lower level tests in pencil), and scribing my first Grand Prix tests last Friday at this year's summer show.

So, what to look for ride: active walk in the free walk, differences in the transitions within gaits, accuracy, stretching forward and down in the stretchy circle and free walk, impulsion without running, poll too low, nose behind the vertical. Those were the phrases I'd write over and over, at all levels. The only thing I regret about scribing is not being able to see the test—though I was much braver this time and looked up more.

It was crazy hot and humid, the hottest and most humid of the spell we'd had last week. I was perfectly happy to not be riding. Many riders scratched out of their second tests or altogether. Later in the afternoon, the show was held for an hour as a lightning storm rolled through and cooled everything off. A lot of riders came out of the woodwork after that to ride the afternoon tests. So did the gnats, as evening wore on. It was a positive experience overall, and as usual I'm motivated again and thinking about doing a test or two at the fall Wentworth.

Saturday I did a little ring work before going out for a hack on the road. Clover felt good, it seemed like we'd gotten over the massive inertia from the past winter. She was softer and more responsive to a lighter aid. She's close to coming into heat—when we ventured out, she pulled the spooky, slow motion power spin around. Like I'd let her get away with it—I rode her up and down the road until she settled down.

Yesterday I figured I'd whip out the dressage saddle and try some more ring work—feh! I came to the sad (but known) conclusion that the saddle is too small for me. I need a 17.5” seat I think. Clover could sense that my ass was locked into place by the deep seat, and was tense in the back and heavy in the left rein. I jumped off and put the all-purpose back on … much better after that, though still heavy in the left rein—the usual. Need to get that hind leg going, and get her to move her shoulder over.

I'm going to Double G to pick up the Crump dressage, just to give it another whirl on Clover, before I take that and the County down to Pelham to sell on consignment.

Comments

Popular Posts