Hot ‘n humid lesson
It figures, the hottest and most humid day of the year so far, and I had a grueling lesson. I shouldn't sound so weak, calling lessons with Janet grueling, because in reality I'm just out of shape. The lessons themselves are entirely reasonable, and my approach to riding is yet another symptom of youth getting softer each generation (ha), though to my credit I suck it up and ride 100%. I trucked over to my instructor's farm/B&B, a rustic colonial, for an evening lesson. It had cooled off a little by then, but that sensation quickly went away as I warmed up Clover up in the spacious sand arena. Our normal ring work is merely warm up for Janet's lessons. No wonder I've been sucking air by the time we hit the canter.
We started out with some working walk, then transitions up to the trot. Janet said it was a good idea for me to carry my whip in my left hand, as Clover's left hind is the one that needs to be activated more. I have to keep pushing Clover's left shoulder over when we track left, and coordinate seat-leg-hand so she lightens up on that rein, comes through and is more supple in the bend. A couple of times I felt Clover's back lift under my seat when I was successful at getting her left hind hooked up. At least I'm getting little flashes of how a horse should be going!
Most of my troubles stem from not having Clover sharp to the aids. I nag with my inner heels, instead of letting my legs hang and use the inside calf only when necessary. After 20 minutes of working trot/sitting trot work in the heat, I had no energy to grab or nag. It was better, the up transitions from walk to trot were more prompt. Again it occurred to me that I have so far to go in riding, with just the application and coordination of the aids. My position is better, now it's time to work on my seat.
Janet said that the more open the hip-front of the thighs are, the better for riding the sitting trot. She said that Clover's rhythm remained steady during the trot work, which is typical for Clover. She's not a big mover, but she is steady. I need to keep Clover from leaning on that left rein, and be quick to reward when she lightens up even the slightest bit. We worked on some trot-walk transitions, and another big pointer I got was to ride the bounce down into the walk. Not sure if I can articulate it, other than the usual let the hip angle open and close with the bouncing ball … inelegant description, but I understand the feeling now.
The canter work wasn't as good as the last lesson. I haven't been keeping up with schooling, though I did lunge Clover in side reins last night (and noted she wasn't using her left hind as much as she could!), and the canter work remains unbalanced. Same principles as with trot, keep her light and supple to the inside, and ride forward with both legs. Who knows, it may never come. Who knows, it may be a symptom of EPSM, dammit. I'm going to start her on vitamin E & selenium supplement and 2 cups corn oil per feeding. Wont hurt, might help.
We did some more forward cantering in half-seat, then started trotting over ground poles. This was the first formal gymnastic work we've done since last fall, but it wasn't too bad. Janet kept it simple, trotting over 3 ground poles, then 2 ground poles to a cross rail. I need to remember to keep Clover somewhat packaged up but forward so she doesn't jump flat. One pole to a cross rail, then one pole, to a cross rail, canter stride to a vertical. Pole—cross-rail—canter to vertical track left and up opposite long side to pole, then up long side to vertical. Change direction, canter right lead to 21' one-stride. I kept dropping Clover one stride in front of the first element of the one stride, but finally got it right on the last go through and hit the spot. I did manage to keep her in front of my leg, staying forward was one lesson I'd retained from riding with Alyce last summer.
I was ready to throw in the towel by the end of the hour, and Clover had worked up her first significant sweat of the year. I felt like we'd accomplished something—I've been enjoying the lessons with Janet, having previous training confirmed and gaining a new perspective at the same time. I did ask Janet about the space (or lack thereof) between the jowl and atlas vertebrae, she confirmed that trainers looked for generous space to flex when selecting a prospect. So, keeping Clover on the vertical may always be a struggle, bearing that and her thick throatlatch in mind. Still kicking around the idea to turn Clover into a trail mount / western horse, and riding Mico for Christine, so she can get Irish going in earnest. I think my tack fit Mico … and Christine said I was welcome to take him to 3 phases.
We started out with some working walk, then transitions up to the trot. Janet said it was a good idea for me to carry my whip in my left hand, as Clover's left hind is the one that needs to be activated more. I have to keep pushing Clover's left shoulder over when we track left, and coordinate seat-leg-hand so she lightens up on that rein, comes through and is more supple in the bend. A couple of times I felt Clover's back lift under my seat when I was successful at getting her left hind hooked up. At least I'm getting little flashes of how a horse should be going!
Most of my troubles stem from not having Clover sharp to the aids. I nag with my inner heels, instead of letting my legs hang and use the inside calf only when necessary. After 20 minutes of working trot/sitting trot work in the heat, I had no energy to grab or nag. It was better, the up transitions from walk to trot were more prompt. Again it occurred to me that I have so far to go in riding, with just the application and coordination of the aids. My position is better, now it's time to work on my seat.
Janet said that the more open the hip-front of the thighs are, the better for riding the sitting trot. She said that Clover's rhythm remained steady during the trot work, which is typical for Clover. She's not a big mover, but she is steady. I need to keep Clover from leaning on that left rein, and be quick to reward when she lightens up even the slightest bit. We worked on some trot-walk transitions, and another big pointer I got was to ride the bounce down into the walk. Not sure if I can articulate it, other than the usual let the hip angle open and close with the bouncing ball … inelegant description, but I understand the feeling now.
The canter work wasn't as good as the last lesson. I haven't been keeping up with schooling, though I did lunge Clover in side reins last night (and noted she wasn't using her left hind as much as she could!), and the canter work remains unbalanced. Same principles as with trot, keep her light and supple to the inside, and ride forward with both legs. Who knows, it may never come. Who knows, it may be a symptom of EPSM, dammit. I'm going to start her on vitamin E & selenium supplement and 2 cups corn oil per feeding. Wont hurt, might help.
We did some more forward cantering in half-seat, then started trotting over ground poles. This was the first formal gymnastic work we've done since last fall, but it wasn't too bad. Janet kept it simple, trotting over 3 ground poles, then 2 ground poles to a cross rail. I need to remember to keep Clover somewhat packaged up but forward so she doesn't jump flat. One pole to a cross rail, then one pole, to a cross rail, canter stride to a vertical. Pole—cross-rail—canter to vertical track left and up opposite long side to pole, then up long side to vertical. Change direction, canter right lead to 21' one-stride. I kept dropping Clover one stride in front of the first element of the one stride, but finally got it right on the last go through and hit the spot. I did manage to keep her in front of my leg, staying forward was one lesson I'd retained from riding with Alyce last summer.
I was ready to throw in the towel by the end of the hour, and Clover had worked up her first significant sweat of the year. I felt like we'd accomplished something—I've been enjoying the lessons with Janet, having previous training confirmed and gaining a new perspective at the same time. I did ask Janet about the space (or lack thereof) between the jowl and atlas vertebrae, she confirmed that trainers looked for generous space to flex when selecting a prospect. So, keeping Clover on the vertical may always be a struggle, bearing that and her thick throatlatch in mind. Still kicking around the idea to turn Clover into a trail mount / western horse, and riding Mico for Christine, so she can get Irish going in earnest. I think my tack fit Mico … and Christine said I was welcome to take him to 3 phases.

Comments
Post a Comment